[3830] WPX SSB C6AGU M/2 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w8hc@aol.com
Subject: [3830] WPX SSB C6AGU M/2 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2021 19:07:18 +0000
                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB - 2021

Call: C6AGU
Operator(s): AA7JV KN4EEI W6IZT W8HC
Station: C6AGU

Class: M/2 HP
QTH: Bahamas
Operating Time (hrs): 45.5

------------
  160:   18
   80:  662
   40: 1337
   20: 1689
   15:  444
   10:   23
------------

Club: South East Contest Club

Comments:

This was the first opportunity to give AA7JV's RIB technology a big-time workout
in SSB mode. We operated with 4 RIBs last year (2020) in the CQWW CW and ARRL
160m CW Contests. If you are not familiar with "RIBs", check out C6AGU
on George's QRZ.com  This project, sponsored by NCDXF, offers some exciting
possibilities for future DXpeditions. As such, NCDXF is committed to doing
everything posssible for making DX happen and is funding the RIB project.  Their
support is based on the hopes that RIB operation will ultimately make it easier
to gain access to "environmentally sensitive" DXCC entities where a
DXpedition’s living-on-the-island infrastructure has become a portion of the
reviewing agency's response for permit denial.

One of the chief objections to DXpedition permit applications to environmentally
sensitive DXCC entities is the claim that amateur radio encampments create an
"invasive footprint." It is believed that utilizing RIBs remotely from
an off-shore vessel, offers a huge step forward and possible solution to this
hurdle. With RIB technology, traditional DXpedition encampments, requiring
on-land living/operating, can be eliminated.

Our C6AGU operation during the WPX contest as a M/2 operation and utilizing 2
FlexRadio based RIBs on the island, exceeded our expectations. The 900MHz data
link connecting our 2 RIBs between Wood Cay and George's incredible vessel
"Magnet," approximately 1/2NM away, performed flawlessly with NO
dropouts or problematic latency issues.

Our antennas consisted of: AA7JV vertical (mounted in the salt water) and
remotely operated tuner; StepIR Big IR (mounted above salt water) integrated w/
RIB and AA7JV Rcv system also remotely switchable.

Our C6AGU operation was essentially a field day exercise/mini-DXpedition using
Honda 2000i generator power for the 2 RIBs.

We had some great runs, with the StepIR on 40m on Friday night... obviously, the
disappointment for most was with 160m and 10m....  I sure miss the 10m openings
from days gone past.

It has been a privilege for me to have been a small part of the testing of
George's exciting RIB project. I am certainly looking forward to hearing/working
a RIB-based DXpedition from a rare entity in the near future. I know first-hand
this technology offers some door opening possibilities... pse QRX.

Finally, please know that if you worked C6AGU, you were certainly a part of this
"DX-periment!" and so, on behalf of the C6AGU team, we say,
"Thank you for your participation in this project by giving us a Contest
QSO!"

"73 es DX" from the C6AGU Team til next time.... de George AA7JV, Mike
KN4EEI, Gregg W6IZT, Hal W8HC.. and "Pivot Poindexter":-)