[3830] WPX SSB OT6M(PC5A) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, pc5a@veron.nl
Subject: [3830] WPX SSB OT6M(PC5A) SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2021 22:01:43 +0000
                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB - 2021

Call: OT6M
Operator(s): PC5A
Station: OT6M

Class: SOAB HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 3
Remote Operation

------------
  160:
   80:
   40:   88
   20:   33
   15:
   10:
------------

Club: Bavarian Contest Club

Comments:

A few hours testing remote-SSB operation. This is much more complicated than CW.
The biggest challenge is how to make PTT. Since the microham cat interface is
the master PTT the RS-BA1 SW is not suitable and you have to rely on the
operation of the remote PC via VNC. Frank ON9CC (station owner) had the
brilliant idea to configure two rarely used function keys with TX and RX macros
that put the IC7800 into TX and RX respectively. Running a (small) pileup
operating the PTT via F10 and F11, logging the stations and the reports *and*
paying attention to TIMING is exhausting.
I mentioned TIMING... apparently the current configuration of the IC7800,
ACOM2K, Microham USB interface, Microham Station Master and PC still have a
timing issue where it can happen that the ACOM detects hot switching and goes
into standby for some time. If you wait a few 100ms after stopping to speak
before switching to RX the problem seems to stay away. We had notice some
similar behavior in pre-Corona times where we would run two stations,
interlocked in-band and the other operator would speak while the other station
was TX'ing and then switched over to RX. Something to investigate later this
year, I hope...

73
-- Aurelio, PC5A