[3830] WPX SSB VA7RR SOSB20 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, va7rr@telus.net
Subject: [3830] WPX SSB VA7RR SOSB20 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2021 20:06:03 +0000
                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB - 2021

Call: VA7RR
Operator(s): VA7RR
Station: VA7RR

Class: SOSB20 HP
QTH: BC
Operating Time (hrs): 23.5

------------
  160:
   80:
   40:
   20: 1266
   15:
   10:
------------

Club: Orca DX and Contest Club

Comments:

First off, I want to express my extreme disappointment regarding the decision to
do away with the unassisted single operator categories in the WPX Contests.   I
think it shows a lack of respect to all of those ops who worked so hard
throughout the years to set unassisted category records.  Much of my joy in
single operator radio contesting comes from finding the multipliers on my own
without spotting assistance, along with the challenge of trying to maximize my
score by correctly determining when to CQ and when to S and P as the contest
progresses.  I'm not an operator that prefers to "click and call" -
but that's the mandate from here forward if I want to be competitive in WPX
events.  I am hopeful that there will not be a similar change to the operator
categories in the CQ Worldwide contests - if, by chance, this is being
considered, please don't do it!!

Conditions this time out were mediocre - my numbers are way down from 2020.  I
packed it in at about 1730Z on Sunday after being able to work only 21 Europeans
in 1-1/2 hours of S & P - and that was with spotting assistance.  Just as
well that I threw in the towel - shortly thereafter an unexpected big wind storm
blew through the area, and it was bad enough that I was forced to crank down my
motorized crank up tower.  After doing so I spent some time watching the wind
rock the 100 foot cedar trees on my property.  It was scary to see, and my tower
had no business being cranked up while that was going on.

Thanks to all for the QSOs.

73,
Gary
VA7RR