[3830] 144SprngSprnt N2SLN(@N2SLN/P) Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] 144SprngSprnt N2SLN(@N2SLN/P) Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2021 01:55:54 +0000
                    144 MHz Spring Sprint - 2021

Call: N2SLN
Operator(s): N2SLN
Station: N2SLN/P

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: FN22
Operating Time (hrs): 2.2

Club:

Comments:

With this past winter being particularly ferocious in central NY, the starter
battery and auxiliary battery started dying in MobileComm1. I put a charger on
them all day Monday and was just barely able to start the van without yet having
reached 80 percent charge on the charger's indicator. That, plus my usual site
being temporarily gated while the DEC works on a project at the summit, made
life a little more interesting than usual. I decided to use an alternate site
that I never tried before and it was just a couple miles further from home. This
one required a roadside operation because there was no parking area available.
So on the weekend before the sprint, I modified my antenna support structure to
tilt straight behind the van rather than to one side. The antenna of choice was
a 4-stack omni on a telescoping mast. I got on the air and everything went well
until the 9:00 hour when power line noise struck. No chance to null it out when
running an omni! At least I know not to use this site for weak signal modes in
the future without first testing for power line noise during the same time of
day as the actual event. Nonetheless, I would say activity was good based on the
fact that I heard signals coming in from all directions. Best DX heard was Ohio
station K8RYU EM99 (371 mi / 597 km) with CW signals moving the meter.