[3830] 144SprngSprnt WW2Y Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] 144SprngSprnt WW2Y Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2021 00:47:39 +0000
                    144 MHz Spring Sprint - 2021

Call: WW2Y
Operator(s): WW2Y
Station: WW2Y

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: FN20QJ
Operating Time (hrs): 2.5

Club: Mt Airy VHF Radio Club

Comments:

We've had several days of windy conditions leading up to the sprint, therefore
setting up the mast and antenna would have been an risky exercise. Plus, I was
feeling tired from attending gym as well as running outdoors afterwards.

I spoke with Dave, W2KV on the landline and he suggested that I at least
jury-rigged something in order to provide QSOS for the locals. After dinner, I
felt somewhat motivated and I grabbed the Arrow 4el portable beam and balanced
it on a shoebox placed on top of the dining room table. Then found a 40ft piece
of RG8X and hooked it up to the FT-991. I check the SWR with 5 watts and it
seemed to be okay. I'm convinced the transmission line loss of cable had helped.
Cranked the carrier output up to approximately 40 watts, an carbon monoxide
detector in close proximity began to blare away with a nasty shrill. After a
couple of minutes, I finally calmed down the expletive CO detector and
readjusted the RF drive to about 15 watts. All is well.

Working the locals on SSB, such as W2KV, WA2ONK, N2NT, and W2BVH seemed to be
quite trivial. Anyone outside of my grid was a challenge, except for K1TEO
(FN31) of course. I did hear and call WZ1V (FN31) for couple of minutes hoping
to catch his attention, even on CW, but never succeeded. Also, Alex, KR1ST
(FN21) was heard calling CQ contest on at least several different frequencies
for almost an hour and I called him as well. He did hear someone calling him,
but couldn't pull my call through. QSB was quite pronounced on his signal and he
peaked to about S4 at times. Sometime time later while I was searching and
pouncing, I ran across Alex again who was much louder during a QSB peak. I sent
my call and we easily exchanged contact information. Seconds later, his signal
dropped down to just above the noise floor.

It appears that there are fewer people who call CQ on SSB and CW during
operating events these days. I was able to work Alex only because of his
persistence.

73,
Peter