[3830] MiQP K8BKM Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, thammond@chartermi.net
Subject: [3830] MiQP K8BKM Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2021 21:14:49 +0000
                    Michigan QSO Party - 2021

Call: K8BKM
Operator(s): K8BKM
Station: K8BKM

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: OAKL
Operating Time (hrs): 11

   80:  155    196
   40:   86    178
   20:   53    119
   15:    0      0
   10:    0      0
--------------------
Total:  294    493  CW Mults = 74  Ph Mults = 95  Total Score = 182,689

Club: Thumb Area Contesters

Comments:

Selecting a category to participate in is always part of the fun of preparing
for any contest. It's not always a no-brainer. You have to assess your
competition, consider conditions, and play into your station's strong suit. I
generally select SOLP. I have never run the MiQP SOQRP or SOHP so it was a
toss-up for me. I know going in that if I chose SOHP that I'd have my work cut
out for me - nearly or frankly impossible to win given my station. In the end, I
selected SOHP just to see if running QRO really made that much of a difference.
Wow.

Running HP in a domestic, let alone an NVIS contest really plays into my
station's hand. On the good side, I ran mostly, was able to hold a run freq, and
had a steady stream of callers, even if I couldn't hear all of them. On the bad
side, I think it was a crutch, meaning I didn't spend enough time seeking
multipliers by looking for the mobiles and such. I also found it much more
productive to be on phone - there are just more (casual?) phone ops than on CW,
so I clearly didn't spend enough time on CW. My results show 67% more Q's on
phone than CW, and 28% more mults on phone than CW.

I really didn't intend to compete at all. I was just going to make some Q's for
fun and "experiment" with running QRO. It wasn't until I worked my
competition and discovered that I was actually ahead in Q's that I started
thinking about putting in a more serious effort. I milked 20 and 40 for all I
could and later discovered that I may have gone to 80 a bit late in the game. I
remained ahead of my competition for most of the day until late in the evening,
when I was passed. It was classic Tortoise and Hare. When I could no longer see
the taillights of my competition, I threw in the towel. There was no catching
up.

In the end, I am happy with my score - it's the most Q's I've made in MiQP ever,
and I also got a taste of running a domestic contest HP. I didn't "blow a
lead" - I was never going to win anyway. It sure was fun though, putting
some "pressure" on my competition and hopefully making them sweat a
bit. As always, you have to earn you victory.

73, and thanks for all the Q's

Tom
K8BKM