[3830] FlQP K4QD Cnty Exped LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k4qd.jan@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] FlQP K4QD Cnty Exped LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2021 20:11:09 +0000
                    Florida QSO Party - 2021

Call: K4QD
Operator(s): K4QD
Station: K4QD

Class: Cnty Exped LP
QTH: FL
Operating Time (hrs): 20

   40:   225    48
   20:   782   105
   15:
   10:
--------------------
Total:  1007   153  CW Mults = 63  Ph Mults = 30  Total Score = 403,062

Club: Florida Contest Group

Comments:

I have operated portable expedition mode in the past and was glad to see it
added officially to the FQP this year.

As a station I used my IC-7300 with ASUS laptop and N1MM+ which handled
expedition (Rover) mode well with the ROVERQTH and COUNTYLINE features.  I used
a Bioenno 20 AH Lithium Ion Phosphate battery from N1ZZ as I did not want to
chance running down my car battery in the middle of nowhere.  Operating for
hours at 100W CW/SSB on the battery was no problem.

I had planned to use a 20/40 meter 12 ft tall vertical dipole designed and built
by Don AF4Z and me for DXpeditions fifteen years ago.  However, I managed to
break it while testing my station operating portable in FL during the GQP a
couple weeks ago.  So Don loaned me one of his newly designed FB-3 (20/30/40M)
vertical dipoles, which worked great.  All band switching is via the coax, so it
was very easy to set up, and it operated flawlessly.

I took my travel trailer to Hardee Lakes Campground on Friday. I set up my firs
site before the contest started.  I started out operating a few miles away at
four corners on County 37, which is so named because it is the corner of four
counties.  However, Hardee County at that point is about 100 feet off in the
woods.  So I operated from three counties there.
I went from there to the Hardee/DeSoto county line on US17.  I operated there
until 8:00PM when it was getting dark.  Twenty meters was really open. I should
have picked a site where I felt comfortable operating after dark, because I did
not get to operate 40M or phone from that county line.

Sunday I operated a couple hours from the campground to have Hardee active on
Sunday.  Due to slower travel towing I only stopped and operated at my planned
lunch stop in Highlands. I skipped my planned OKE/OSC stop to get to St
Sebastian River Preserve on the BRE/IDR county line where I operated (through
some heavy rain) until FQP end.

My plan Saturday worked pretty well with 756 QSOs, but fell apart somewhat on
Sunday with only 404 QSO.  But, there is always next year.

Thanks for all the Qs.
Jan K4QD