[3830] KRC SST KF6NCX Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] KRC SST KF6NCX Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 17 May 2021 21:16:46 +0000
                    K1USN Slow Speed Test - May 17

Call: KF6NCX
Operator(s): KF6NCX
Station: KF6NCX

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: CA
Operating Time (hrs): 1

  160:
   80:
   40:  17     6
   20:   2     2
-------------------
Total:  19     8  Total Score = 152

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

The SST gives guys like me, who aren't great at CW contesting, some terrific
practice running. Calling CQ in the regular CWops CWT just isn't feasible. But
in the SST it's workable and fun although I feel I am in the hot seat. S&P
is much more relaxing.

I was hoping to make at least 20 qsos in this SST but just didn't quite manage
it. Things started out slow. I called CQ on 40 for three minutes without a call.
I remembered what Ken, K6MR, has said: "If nothing is happening after three
minutes, try something different." At least that is what I think he said.
So I thought I would do some S&P but there just weren't very many stations I
could hear on 40 at the start of the hour. So I switched to 20 and made a couple
of contacts. But that was all there was.

Back on 40, with S&P, I made a number of contacts. Then I settled down to
running again and by that time people were calling me. Things went pretty well.

I learned one good lesson. I was tending to listen for the name and state and
then type them into the logger once the QSO was over. But after doing that in
one case, someone else called me before I could type in the previous guy's name
and state. I had to write down the new call, name and state on a sheet of paper
and then type in the information for two qsos. I could easily have forgotten the
first name and state. After that, I realized I had better try my best to type
the information in as I heard it. That worked better. But it kept me on my
toes.

Again, I found myself calling CQ again and again with no responses. I went over
to 80 but heard no one in the contest. Tried calling CQ for three minutes, but
no responses. So went back to 40 and S&P. I made a few more qsos, but stuck
at 19, and that's where I was when time ran out. It was fun.

Thanks for the QSOs. 73, Larry