[3830] WPX CW K4HQK SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, jwfuller@verizon.net
Subject: [3830] WPX CW K4HQK SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 31 May 2021 02:42:43 +0000
                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW - 2021

Call: K4HQK
Operator(s): K4HQK
Station: K4HQK

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Alexandria, VA
Operating Time (hrs): 16

------------
  160:
   80:   30
   40:  173
   20:  152
   15:   21
   10:    9
------------

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Once again there was plenty of activity to make this contest lively. Thanks to
fairly good propagation it spread across all the HF bands I monitored (80-10
meters). The only annoyance was ferocious QRN on 80m Friday night that returned
even worse Saturday night, making 40m QSOs a struggle, too. Everyone was sending
"NR? NR?" requests.

Early morning QSOs were easily made to KH6, KL7, VK and ZL, but I never heard
anything from the western Pacific area (JA, etc.); maybe it was fine for the
West Coast gang. And I heard nil from Africa or the Indian Ocean area. EU was
the big star for us on the East Coast.

On the recommendation of fellow PVRC members I concentrated on the multipliers,
thereby working DX but few Americans. It was dazzling to watch each newly-
worked prefix add some 2,500 points to the score.

Best times for me were Friday night on 40m, of course, and then 20m late
afternoons. 80m was more productive Saturday night than Friday night despite the
QRN but understandably, activity levels on that band were not high.

Once more it was a thrill to hear the bands filled with CW activity. Hooray for
CW contests! The FT8 frequencies must have been rather quiet.

John K4HQK
Alexandria, VA

Station: IC-7410, Ameritron ALS-600, Cushcraft R6000 vertical, dipoles.