[3830] ARRL June VHF KK6MC Single Op Port QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, kk6mc@amsat.org
Subject: [3830] ARRL June VHF KK6MC Single Op Port QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2021 18:23:25 +0000

  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  65     24  Total Score = 2,233

Club: New Mexico VHF Society

Comments:

Trying to try different things in the VHF/UHF contest, so I did a SOP operation
instead of my usual roving, which had been on hiatus during the pandemic.
Eventually I want to mount a full out SOP effort, but thought I would try a dry
run, not too far from home, with my rover setup. I set up on the Sandia Crest,
which is a tough RFI & interred environment. I had surplus cavity filters
for 2m and 70 cm. 50MHz had a few problems with weak intermod, but it was
possible to work around them. 2M with the filter was OK, as was 432 on Sunday,
but on Saturday I had problems. Not sure what the difference ws, but I parked a
bit further away from the tower farm on Sunday. 222MHZ was useless with a 10dB
over 9 noise level. People could hear me, but I couldn't hear them. Very
frustrating, but now I know I need to get a filter for 222MHz for serious work
from where I would like to operate.

I had intended to run the WSJT digital modes to see how they worked with QRP,
but I had problems with both computers, one hardware and one software, so that
was out. I think I missed out on a lot of grids by not having that capability;
so that also goes on the list of things to improve.

We had some short and weak Es openings, but there was not a lot of activity on
SSB and CW to match the openings. I got out better than I thought I would with
QRP, and only on occasion did I have to resort to CW to work an SSB station when
I was weak there. On my attempt to work a fairly strong multi-multi station on
CW when they were on SSB, I got a "please try us later when there will be a
different operator who knows CW." OK, I get it, I am becoming an
anachronism.

I was pleased with the score and feel more confident with a future more serious
SOP effort.