[3830] ARRL June VHF KO9A SO 3Band LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, jimkb3aft@aol.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL June VHF KO9A SO 3Band LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2021 21:43:02 +0000

  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  479   180  Total Score = 90,540

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

Pretty satisfied after this one as I feel like I got all I could get with the
hand that was dealt.

Very rough start here as we had a severe storm cell blow through during the
first couple hours of the contest which slowly moved off east.  Thankfully took
no direct damage (60+ MPH winds, hail), however the storm generated a new
powerline noise source to the south that was S9+ for most of the weekend.  This
just after ComEd was out a few weeks ago and did an effective cleanup job.
Ugh.

6m - Really never had an outstanding Es opening but weak Es over wide areas
helped the mult total.  Was never able to generate much rate on any mode.  Best
DX was real DX this time, with CT3MD worked Sunday AM.  At the time he was the
only station in solid on Es...everything else at the time was scatter.  Heard
but couldn't get the attention of EA7L and EA6SX.  DM03 was the only stateside
2x Es in the log.  6m sounded like 160m for the first 5-6 hours...very lucky we
dodged the direct strike from that storm cell and the lights stayed on
throughout the weekend.

2m - Good tropo throughout the contest along with good meteors helped set a
personal June best here on 2m.  The less than stellar 6m prop likely helped
steer more customers to the band as well.  Best DX was WQ5S via meteors.

70cm - More stations seemed to be active on FT8 which helped drive some longer
distance QSOs and helped add to the multiplier count.  Hopefully 432174 becomes
more popular moving forward.  Best DX was WD9EXD thanks to the tropo we had
parked in the area.  Marshall was booming in on 2m and downright loud on 432 at
times throughout the weekend.

Special thanks to all of the rovers (12 unique rovers worked) who were QRV this
weekend!

73

Jim KO9A