[3830] ARRL June VHF K1RZ Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k1rz@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL June VHF K1RZ Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2021 20:50:52 +0000
                    ARRL June VHF Contest - 2021

Call: K1RZ
Operator(s): K1RZ
Station: K1RZ

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: MD
Operating Time (hrs): 28

    6:  156    60
    2:  160    42
  222:   70    32
  432:   93    31
  903:   31    18
  1.2:   34    17
  2.3:   20    12
  3.4:    3     3
  5.7:    5     4
  10G:   12     4
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  584   228  Total Score = 226,404

Club: Mt Airy VHF Radio Club

Comments:

Some highlights.  Great tropo opening to two good ops (N2JMH and W2FU) in
northern NY after the afternoon thunderstorm passed through and I got back on
the air.  Some 10 GHz Rainscatter contacts in VE3, WPA and WNY.  Lots of Rovers
out with N6MEJ, KD3PD, WA3RGQ, N9ZL, KJ1K, W3ICC, KM3G, KM4OZH, W4NF, N2DXT,
KO4IJH, K2QO and KF2MR.  Great that you all went out!!  Worked K1TEO on 9 bands.
 6m amplifier quit, so ended up a little light on the 6m QSOs and grids. Had a
good time making CW contacts on 6m.   I received a large number of WSJTX Q65-15B
decodes on 10368.200 MHz with Peter VA3ELE at 512 km.  Our Q65 contact attempt
was well after midnight where AircraftScatterSharp showed no airplanes anywhere
near the path.    While we did not complete the contact on Q65, the experience
showed me yet another new digital capability I did not previously have in the
VHF Contest tool box. Fortunately Peter and I worked Sunday afternoon on CW
using Rainscatter as a mode of propagation.

My QSO breakdown by transmission mode: CW - 90 (15.4%), FM - 18 (3 %), FT8 - 72
(12.3%), MSK144 - 3 (0.51%), and USB - 401 (68.6%). Total 584.   [I did not keep
track of any statistics for contacts where stations called me on CW while I
transmitted in USB, as occasionally is the case].

I remain fully satisfied with the current ARRL VHF Contest format allowing both
analog modes SSB and CW and digital modes FT8, MSK144 and other digital
transmission modes in VHF Contests, ensuring that all stations have a chance to
be part of the fun and competition on the VHFs and up.

Thanks to ARRL for their excellent sponsorship of these VHF contests and to
everyone who got on and made contacts on any transmission modes in the contest.
 73,  Dave  K1RZ.  FM19jh.  cu in the August 222 and Up Distance Contest.