[3830] ARRL FD KF6NCX 2D LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL FD KF6NCX 2D LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2021 04:35:33 +0000

  903:
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
----------------------------
Total:  321     29     13  Total Score = 1,794

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

Jevon, KE6YLH, and I had a lot of fun with this year’s FD. We had hoped to
operate outdoors with the Golden Empire Amateur Radio Society (GEARS), our local
radio club, but when the forecast was for 109 and 113 on FD weekend we decided
to make my home station the center of operations.

We used two radios, a Yaesu FT450D and a Kenwood TS 590. We used the Yaesu for
20 and 80 meters and the Kenwood for 40 and 15 meters.

My permanent end-fed 130-foot wire antenna up 50 feet at the high point we
dedicated to 40 meters. For 15 meters we had a yagi made with a Buddipole. Jevon
researched how to make this two-element beam, using the kit Buddipole sells for
making a 6-meter yagi, He just had to order some extra parts from Buddipole to
make the 15-meter beam, which stood at 20 feet, using the regular Buddipole
push-up mast.

For 20 meters, we used an MFJ Big Stick vertical with two raised radials. We
mounted the Big Stick on a mast so that the tip was about 30 feet in the air.
For 80 meters, we again turned to MFJ, using its Featherlight mast, 31 feet
tall, to support a vertical wire. We had two radials on the ground.

We did not go full-bore on this Field Day. We each put in about 10 hours of
operating, leaving time to get four hours of sleep apiece and for leisurely and
family meals prepared by Margot (my wife, Jevon’s mom), who was very generous
in offering support above and beyond the call of duty, not only fixing delicious
meals but taking full charge of dog-walking and household chores — tasks she
and I would normally share. We also took time out to visit the GEARS FD site and
attend the barbecue there. And we gave a shack tour to Jamie, a friend and
neighbor and prospective ham. Jamie made a phone contact!

We also got some bonus points. Jevon made a contact via satellite and we copied
the CW bulletin. We’ll give our points to the GEARS club.

Altogether, we made 363 contacts, mostly on CW.

We’re looking forward to FD 2022. Thanks for the Qs and 73!  Larry, KF6NCX