[3830] NCCC Sprint K9MMS LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, K9MMS@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] NCCC Sprint K9MMS LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2021 03:36:23 +0000
                    NCCC Sprint - Jul 9

Call: K9MMS
Operator(s): K9MMS
Station: K9MMS

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: IL
Operating Time (hrs): 0.5

  160:
   80:   9      8
   40:  13     10
   20:   6      5
   15:   6      6
   10:
-------------------
Total:  34     29  Total Score = 986

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

K3 + P3  100 W  ;  N1MM Logger+
TH6 for 15/20, 40-2CD for 40, INV V dipole for 80.
Ran out of time and never got to 160 (my favorite band).

Wow.  What a mess.  It has been a while since I was in an NS event.  I just
started using, and trying to learn, N1MM Logger+.  This is only the third time I
have used it in a contest -- all QRQ CW. I sort of got the "hang" of
using it in 2 CWTs yesterday, but I had a very difficult time getting into any
kind of rhythm for the NS tonight.

My apologies to AA7V.  I think I blew at least 3 QSOs with him.  I made typos
and got out of sync with N1MM and his exchange each time.  I later noticed he no
longer would reply to my calls.  What a mess!  Sorry for that.

I used WinTest for 11 years and resisted changing to N1MM not wanting to tackle
the learning curve -- old man with old, lazy brain, you know.  But it was long
past time.  WinTest is a nice logging program, but it is poorly supported in the
USA, and it lacks coverage for a lot of contests.  I needed a logger that had
good support and that would cover the CWT, NS, and many other events.

I filled a large looseleaf notebook with excerpts from the "kilopage"
N1MM manual, and associated documents, plus my notes from perusing the
documentation.  I still have a lot to learn and need to get much more experience
using N1MM -- very obvious to those who tried to work me during some of my
fumbles.

With WinTest, for the sprints, you just check the Sprint Logic box to get the
RUN and S&P exchanges right, but with N1MM, I'm having to learn to deal with
switching between RUN and S&P modes.  I did not like TR log because of the
RUN vs S&P hassle, so I resisted using it years ago.  Also, setting up
function key CW messages is easier in WinTest, but N1MM is more versatile with
many, need to learn yet, Macros and key-combo shortcuts.  I'm still getting used
to making CW message files, learning the file management for them, and getting
them properly associated with an intended contest log, etc.  Whew!!

Anyway, thanks to all that worked or tried to work me.  Sorry for being a lid
with NS "rust" and N1MM ignorance.  Is there a book "N1MM for
Dummies?"  If so, I need one for sure!  :)

Thanks for the Qs, Ms, and frustration (?)  :)
73,
   Gary . K9MMS