[3830] IARU NT6Q(N5ZO) SOAB(A)CW HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, marko.n5zo@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] IARU NT6Q(N5ZO) SOAB(A)CW HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2021 23:57:17 +0000
                    IARU HF World Championship - 2021

Call: NT6Q
Operator(s): N5ZO
Station: N5ZO

Class: SOAB(A)CW HP
QTH: CA
Operating Time (hrs): 24
Radios: SO2R

  160:    13            5        1
   80:   136           12        7
   40:   665           36       37
   20:   856           39       47
   15:   277           17       16
   10:    89            8        4
-------------------------------------
Total:  2036    0     117      112  Total Score = 1,435,830

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

It was 5th year in a row I operated this contest in same assisted CW HP
category, and this bests my highest score from 2018 just a little.  It is
interesting contest and multiplier scheme and great to operate with spotting
from my modest station for DX contests out here in far West.  Just before I did
many station changes including new amplifier on one radio with all associated
cable manipulations in small shack room with ton of cables crisscrossing
everywhere behind equipment, 2 new monobanders aimed at main US direction for 10
and 15 lower on towers and I'm testing new MOAS antenna switching system it
being temporarily spread inside shack with associated learning curves on
configuring it.  I was quite sure that something would not work perfectly and of
course ended up doing some troubleshooting especially during 1st 12 hrs.  Main
problem seemed to be that MOAS board got some RF into it and locked up several
times and had to reboot it by disconnecting power cable and restarting it.
Eventually I tried donut toroid on USB cable between it and computer and that
seemed to completely cure the problem.  Something to be aware as I hope to move
that thing into its final location sometime in the future.  I also tried UDP
frequency feed from N1MM+ to new RF Kit-S and it lost that feed couple times.
Will probably do hardwired USB connection for it in the future like with other
amp.  There was also lots of new interstation interference especially between 40
and 20 and it helped to have few antennas for both bands on both of my towers to
choose from trying to minimize it.  But there were always spots and multipliers
to work and it was often more productive than trying to run on 2 bands with
interference issues.

160 and 80 and even 40 were very noisy this weekend, except 40 at the very end
when signals from JA/BY/YB really peaked up here and there were many loud
stations.  Like in previous years, I'm always surprised how well I get through
to European HQ stations way before sunset on 40 m and can quite fast work most
of them when I barely can hear them.  Nice to see better high band conditions
and I could have probably done better on optimizing times on each band.  It has
been so many years of poor 15 and 10 from CA and I will have to figure it out
when to be on what band when more spots are coming hopefully soon.

Scoreboard was great again to keep things more interesting.
Tnx for QSOs, 73 de Marko N5ZO