[3830] IARU K3MM SOAB(A)Mixed HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k3mm@verizon.net
Subject: [3830] IARU K3MM SOAB(A)Mixed HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2021 01:32:22 +0000
                    IARU HF World Championship - 2021

Call: K3MM
Operator(s): K3MM
Station: K3MM

Class: SOAB(A)Mixed HP
QTH: MD
Operating Time (hrs): 22.5
Radios: SO2R

  160:    12            3        5
   80:    95           19       32
   40:   496    25     32       46
   20:   637     4     41       53
   15:   386     2     27       37
   10:    76    40     14       25
-------------------------------------
Total:  1702    71    136      198  Total Score = 1,849,692

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

I cant remember the last time I op'ed this contest...might be the '96 WRTC!  I
wasnt going  to be serious and had some home issues that delayed my start, but
once I started playing with the toys, I couldnt stop!  15 and 10 teased me with
openings to EU so probably spent a little too much  time there DXing and playing
with the Skyhawk stack, but it was  a ton of fun.

I entered Mixed, but soon realized CW was where most of the action was with the
skimmers running.  The overnight hours were fairly slow with a lot of noise and
relatively poor antennas, especially on 160, but gradually picked up as 40 and
20 opened to Asia.  I had a slow run of JA's calling in along with a smattering
of EU Sunday morning, with the highlight probably being called by JT1CS around
0830Z.  I actually didnt do much SO2R.  I just got that part of the station
working to my satisfaction and now I need to spend some time learning to use it
better...lots of CWTs!

My current station is a bit of a bastard.  I've been fighting with the Flex
6600m as an SO2R box and realized it's my favorite overall radio and fine for
digital SO2R, but is lacking good SO2r switching and has stability issues when
it comes to contest-grade reliability IMHO.  The clue is that for any problem
with this radio, the first step is some level of a reboot, which takes minutes,
not seconds, and that's not always a simple process.  It's a shame because there
is a lot to love about the Flex 6600.  My current solution required me to walk
back the LAN tech and interface a second radio...in my case a Yaesu FTdx101D
into the second hole and use an external SO2R Mini.  Luckily my 8x2 Antenna
Genius switch is quite versatile and accepts the Yaesu BCD output, so flipping
one AG DIP switch gives the Yaesu control of the B side.  For SO2R and voice
keying, a lot of external cables are back including computer audio cables and
transformers that I developed for use with my old FT1000mp and 5000 radios, but
it's working well.  The SO2R Mini is fairly basic, but switching seems quick and
reliable.  It took me a lot of time getting everything set correctly, but it
worked great all weekend even though I only ended up making 71 phone contacts!

Station:
Flex 6600m
Yaesu Ftdx101D
(2) Acom 2000A amps
SO2R Mini, N1MM contest software
4O3A Antenna Genius 8x2 switch, WX0B stackmatches
VA6AM HP triplexer and 40M filter.

Antennas:
160m 1/4wave sloper
80m Inv V at 100', short beverages
40m 402CD++ at 125', low dipole
20-10m Stack of 3 Skyhawk tribanders at 112/72/36'

73, Ty K3MM