[3830] IARU NJ8J SOABCW LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, nj8j@benshome.net
Subject: [3830] IARU NJ8J SOABCW LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2021 01:43:30 +0000
                    IARU HF World Championship - 2021

Call: NJ8J
Operator(s): NJ8J
Station: NJ8J

Class: SOABCW LP
QTH: GA
Operating Time (hrs): 9:10

  160:
   80:   20             3       2
   40:   69            10       7
   20:  114             9      19
   15:   84             6       1
   10:   40             4       2
-------------------------------------

Club: South East Contest Club

Comments:

Icom IC-7300
LDG AT-200Pro II Automatic Antenna tuner
120 ft OCF doublet fed with ladder-line
10 Meter Half-Square
Logger: N1MM+

Didn't manage to beat my 2014 IARU CW score.  More Qs, but less mults.  This run
seemed reminiscent of that one, though.  Like then, in the morning and
afternoon, the upper bands were busy, even 10, but all pretty much USA and CA.
I only had 1 5-pointer from 13:29Z to 18:56Z.  At that point, I took a break
(and a nap, to be honest.  It'd been a tiring week.).  Got back on the radio at
01:10Z, and jumped on 20, where the Europeans, at least, were finally coming
through.  That may have been a mistake, as from what I've heard later, I should
have checked 15 and 10, which might have been open later than usual, and might
have added more mults.  Sat on 20 until 02:28Z and went to 40.  Spent the rest
of the night up until 08:45Z mostly on 40 and 80, but still found some 20M
activity even around the 06Z and 07Z hours.  Got back on the radio at 11:16Z and
finished out on a mixture of 40, 20, and even 15.

Managed to work NU1AW/5 on 5 bands (I currently don't have an antenna the LDG
will tune on 160), but getting heard by him on 80M was like pulling teeth.
Getting up at 11:00Z was prompted by making one more attempt, which finally
succeeded.  Getting up then did end up adding 30 Qs to the score, though.

The bands were noisy throughout, not surprising with the scattered thunderstorms
throughout the contest.  It didn't help that I started out with AGC on fast,
instead of my usual middle.

All in all, though, a fun weekend.  With the exception of NU1AW/5 on 80M, I for
the most part didn't feel like I had to fight for Qs, and even got a short 19Q
run on 15M.