[3830] CWopsT KK0U Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CWopsT KK0U Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2021 14:30:44 +0000
                    CWops Mini-CWT Test - 1300Z Jul 14

Call: KK0U
Operator(s): KK0U
Station: KK0U

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: MO
Operating Time (hrs): :07

------------
  160:
   80:
   40:  14
   20:
   15:
   10:
------------
Total:  14  Mults = 14  Total Score = 196

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

Well, wasn't that Fun?

Had a nice QSO with WA9VEE in Milwaukee right before the start of CWT.  I
garnered a nice spot (7.027 or so), seemed like a lot of room to operate, had my
coffee nearby, everything updated and ready to roll for my first CWT back
stateside!  Wewt!

At 13:05 SWR went nuts.  I had rebuilt my 4:1 balun before I left in May, and
had operated a couple of CWTs with it (at 100W), but I knew that was the
problem.  I dialed back the power to 25W, and that seemed to help.  Phooey!

At 13:07 the computer crashed.  Hard. All the way to 'power off.'  Oh F. I
always have my paper log and pencil at hand, so I dial the speed back to 25 wpm
and try to do this the old-fashioned way.  Sorry to all the folks whose calls I
totally mangled.  While I am using CWT to try to build my skill at running
during contests, I have not been using it to build my skill in 'well-worn,
classical hand-tooled operating', and it shows.  Feh.

At 13:08 or so SWR went nuts again.  Time to power down.

Uncle!

So I go outside to where the balun is, and sure enough it's still warm.  I take
the box apart and some wee beasties have taken up residence in there, but there
is not evidence of arcing, so I'll have to do some testing before the 0300
session.  Time for a new weatherproof/critterproof box.

This is what I get for skipping the first hour of work to do a little CW.  ;)

This is what makes hobbies interesting, ja?  I now know how to recover N1MM+
when it says "who are you?" when you restart it.  I know I need to
work on hand logging -- perhaps I could be a lumberjack!

KX3/KXPA100, 40m Dipole, N1MM+ and me.

73, Jim KK0U