[3830] IOTA K1IMI SO12CW LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n4cw@aol.com
Subject: [3830] IOTA K1IMI SO12CW LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2021 21:25:36 +0000
                    IOTA Contest - 2021

Call: K1IMI
Operator(s): N4CW W4TMO
Station: K1IMI

Class: SO12CW LP
QTH: NA-137
Operating Time (hrs): 09:47

   80:
   40:   56      12
   20:  258      29
   15:    2       1
   10:
Total:  316      42       0        0  Total Score = 96,600

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Wow, what crazy band conditions. We operated on Bailey Island, NA-137, mid=coast
Maine, with the island accessible by automobile. After a great first hour,
everything went "down the toilet"!!! Spent most of the morning
searching and pouncing with occasional attempts at running. Jim, W4TMO, and I
alternated operating with no definite schedule in mind.
Early afternoon was equally unproductive, so we went out for a late lunch at a
nearby restaurant. Wow, the place was packed with tourists, so we enjoyed some
local beers while waiting for a table. After lunch, we returned to the parking
lot where we had operated from earlier and set up all over again. The setup (for
both morning and afternoon) was thus: we'd drive to our "spot", and
park with one tire holding the L-bracked which provided the base for our 30-foot
telescoping fiberglass pole to which we attached the center insulator of a
1/2-size G5RV antenna and brought the lead into the car (Prius sedan). A K3
served as the rig, powered by a 50 Ampere-Hour battery which was kept charged by
the car's charging system! The operating "desk" was a bedside dinner
tray which supported the laptop, mouse, and key. The K3 "sat" on the
rear passenger seat!. Headphones (noise cancelling) were used...Jim plugged into
the back of the K3 to monitor me while I operated with another set plugged into
the front of the K3. I operated and Jim monitored, then when Jim operated, we
switched places and I monitored while he operated. Works great that way!  We did
better than in 2019, but not as well as we expected. Oh well, next year... 73 de
N4CW