[3830] NCCC Sprint K4BAI LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k4bai@ku8e.com
Subject: [3830] NCCC Sprint K4BAI LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2021 03:15:51 +0000
                    NCCC Sprint - Aug 6

Call: K4BAI
Operator(s): K4BAI
Station: K4BAI

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: GA
Operating Time (hrs): 0.5

  160:
   80:   8      7
   40:  21     17
   20:   6      6
   15:   0      0
   10:
-------------------
Total:  35     30  Total Score = 1,050

Club: South East Contest Club

Comments:

In the few minutes just before the NS tonight, I put the antenna switch on the
TH6DXX, which had died during ARRL 10M contest last December.  Occasionally, it
has shown signs of life by receiving and sometimes for a few minutes working at
QRP or LP, but always fails when using HP.  Has shown no signs of life for the
last few months.  But about a half hour before the NS, it was receiving signals
well and I worked a QRP Fox in OR using the beam instead of the zepp.  I then
ran it up to 100W and it still worked and I got good signal reports on 20M from
N3ZZ and K8CN. Above the TH6 is a 5 element 6M beam, whcih I have been using a
lot this summer and it has rotated only about 15 degrees between NE and North.
Lo and behold, after the beam started working again, the rotator also started
turning further than it has.  I heard N3ZZ on 15 about S2 and no one else.
Heard no activity on 15 in the first minute of NS and no answers to CQs there.
So, with great expectations for 20M, I went there.  Got beat out on every jump
ball it seemed (usually by N4DW, congrats Dave).  Finally a few west coast QSOs
on 15 and NA8V, N0AC in CO.  20M was pretty long.  40M was much better and N4DW
was still beating me on jump balls.  80M was good to the eastern part of the
country.  Thanks to KU8E for coming down Tuesday and repairing my 80M inverted
vee and my 88' cf zepp.  I had been using the 160M inverted L on 80, 20, and 10,
but now it seems I will need to use it in NAQP only on 160M.  I am still excited
about NAQP CW and hope the beam will continue to work for a few more days at
least.  Thanks for all QSOs.  73, John, K4BAI.