[3830] NAQP CW KP4/K6LL Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] NAQP CW KP4/K6LL Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 08 Aug 2021 18:36:41 +0000
                    North American QSO Party, CW - August

Call: KP4/K6LL
Operator(s): K6LL
Station: KP4/K6LL

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: KP4
Operating Time (hrs): 10
Remote Operation

  160:    2     1
   80:   77    28
   40:  310    44
   20:  245    44
   15:  270    42
   10:    4     2
-------------------
Total:  908   161  Total Score = 146,188

Club: Arizona Outlaws Contest Club

Team: AOCC High Binders

Comments:

I don't have any radios or antennas here at the summer cabin in Big Bear Lake,
CA, so I joined Remote Ham Radio with a one-month second-tier membership, and
used their KP4/Palmas station for the NAQP. The station uses a Flex 6000 and
Steppir DB-36 at 75 feet for 10 thru 40, and inverted vees at 75' for 80 and
160. The whole experience was very interesting, and the RHR team and fellow
Arizona Outlaw KO7SS helped a lot getting me up to speed quickly.  I was kind of
disappointed in 80 and 160 from that location though.  I couldn't hear anyone on
160, and I felt weak on 80.  I also didn't like the way the Flex AGC was set up.
It had a low AGC threshold and low slope, so signals compressed together in a
pileup and it was hard to pick anybody out.  After about an hour, I switched AGC
OFF and found a sweet spot in the RF gain setting where the pileup was a lot
more manageable.  Maybe next summer I will do NAQP again from a different
station.

The compound callsign KP4/K6LL gave a lot of people trouble when I called them
on S&P, even late in the contest where I had worked them before on another
band.  The best ops picked it up right away though.

Thanks for all the QSO's!