[3830] 222Up K1WHS Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, K1WHS@metrocast.net
Subject: [3830] 222Up K1WHS Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 08 Aug 2021 19:01:06 +0000
                    ARRL 222 MHz and Up Distance Contest - 2021

Call: K1WHS
Operator(s): K1WHS
Station: K1WHS

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: FN43mj
Operating Time (hrs): 11

------------
  222:  56
  432:
  903:
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
------------
Total:  56  Total Score = 45,556

Club:

Team: Really Weak Signal Group

Comments:

This was my first entry in the re vamped ARRL Summer VHF contest. I like the
idea of distance scoring. It will take some getting used to, but I sure had fun
while stuck on 222 MHz only. My house and shack were damaged by a bad windstorm
this summer, and I had no chance to try to get a few more bands running. I was
cutting up downed trees and broken towers instead! To add insult to injury, the
same storm took out my tower mounted antenna preamp for 432. My original plan
was to be on three bands, but ended up on just 222 MHz. That made for some slow
going. I worked out the band rather quickly and had lots of down time. On Sunday
morning I tried a few meteor scatter skeds and had a fairly good percentage of
50%, 2 out of four skeds completed. It seems that East-West was the better path.
KA9CFD and AA9MY had good ms signals here. W0VTT was good copy but we did not
complete.
   I saw no evidence of any extended tropo at any time. My best CW contacts were
with KO4YC in FM17, VE3ZV in EN92, and W2RMA/r on Skyline Drive at FM08us. W2RMA
was actually pretty loud!
   I wish I had the three bands running. Three is a good number for an old
geezer running out of steam! With the activity level, three bands would have
been more fun! My old setup with nine bands would have been too much for just
me!! I am not complaining though. I had a blast digging out contacts on 222.
When it was all over, I had the feeling that I did not miss anything! Thanks to
all the 222 ops for the Qs!!