[3830] NAQP CW N5JJ Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n5jj@att.net
Subject: [3830] NAQP CW N5JJ Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2021 05:37:36 +0000
                    North American QSO Party, CW - August

Call: N5JJ
Operator(s): N5JJ
Station: N5JJ

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: TX
Operating Time (hrs): 10 hou

  160:
   80:   19
   40:  170
   20:  299
   15:  156
   10:    5
-------------------
Total:  649   141  Total Score = 91,509

Club:

Team:

Comments:

Before I talk about my contest experience,  I feel that SO2R needs to have their
own category.  It is simply not fair to all the SO's that are trying very hard
then have to compete against stations that are basically running two radios.
This makes no sense as other contests don't allow this.  I will make my feelings
known to the committee.  Now on to the contest.  My first contest with my 40m
monobander back on the air.  I started out on 15m and was surprised with the 156
q's.  Thought I may get 25 or so.  Then went over to 10m and not a signal on the
band.  Just for fun I started calling CQ and to my surprise I made five q's in
several areas of the country.  Also a couple of local q's.  You just don't know,
 if more people had tried 10m it may have been more active.  Moved over to 40m
to give it a try and worked stations all over the country.  This at 4:30 P.M.
with the sun still high in the sky.  Then made the move to 20m.  Actually not as
good as I thought but still had some good runs.  However,  my goal was to work
more mults and worry less about the number of q's I made.  About dark I went
back to 40 after one last swing across 15m which was about done.  Was surprised
at the qrn level on 40m.  I had a real hard time pulling stations out.  My radio
cuts the noise down very well but also the signals.  My apology to all that I
had so much trouble getting your info.  I just could not hear anybody.  That
antenna has a ton of gain and there was a large line of severe storms across the
center of the country and I had to point my antenna right at it.  However,  the
yagi performed great and maybe next time we'll do better with that.  Went over
to 80 for a few mults of search and pounce but was doing better on 40,  so
finished there.  The noise had dropped some by this time.  I really enjoy this
contest and don't waste my time with the ssb version with all the lids.  I beat
my last score by 40,000 points but had hoped to crack 100,000 points.  Will the
next time and I hope my new tower is operating by then.  Getting quite a station
out here.  Thanks to all who worked me and your patience.  Hope to see you all
in the Texas QSO party in September.  73,  Rick.