[3830] WAE CW NN7CW Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, NN7CW@gmx.com
Subject: [3830] WAE CW NN7CW Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2021 22:36:18 +0000
                    WAE DX Contest, CW - 2021

Call: NN7CW
Operator(s): NN7CW
Station: NN7CW

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: NFL
Operating Time (hrs): 35:48
Radios: SO2R

   80:   58     0    18
   40:  363   427    36
   20:  742   732    39
   15:  126   122    23
   10:    0     0     0
-------------------------
Total: 1289  1281   304  Total Score = 781,280

Club:

Comments:

A DX contest for the advanced operator

Being down in Florida, from a motivation standpoint, I'm always torn about the
WAE. It coincides with the peak of our lightning season and accelerating
hurricane activities, so I usually have my towers cranked down, the 80m vertical
tilted over and the rx antennas dismantled. On the other hand, it's an
opportunity to work/interact with the most capable contest operators. This mix
usually results in a limited amount of preparation which I later regret, because
the whole thing is just so much fun!

Conditions: while the 70ft tower remained at 25ft, I decided to raise the 80m
vertical, as well as the 50ft tower with its tri-bander, so I could enjoy the
improving(?) high band conditions. However, I found that 10m was a complete bust
and 15m had not improved over last year either. On top of that, I was tormented
by nearby thunderstorms (partially generated by passing tropical storm Fred),
which only took a break from Su morning till the early afternoon. As a result,
hearing and working stations on 40m (beam @25ft) was tough and doing the same on
80m was an ordeal. Even 20m was rough at times; my apologies to everyone I had
to ask for repeats, or didn't hear at all.
Even without the storms I think condx were worse than last year. My goal was to
do 1000Qs, which I managed within 22h last year. It took me 3h more this time
and since I had to invest a good chunk of my Sunday (due to a thunderstorm break
Sa afternoon), I decided to go full-time to see if I could beat last year's
part-time result (700k).
Thanks to everyone who took my QTCs, you all did a great job! I occasionally
made speed adjustments (both directions) and while it is impressive and great
fun to work ops who can copy QTCs at 40WPM, I don't mind going QRS and/or
throwing in a few repeats. I like that QTC exchanges are actual interactions
where you have to work with each other, compared to automated contests where the
other op already knows everything beforehand.

Thanks everyone, it was great fun! Let's hope for better propagation next year!

73
Wolf