[3830] NAQP SSB AA4LR Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, aa4lr@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] NAQP SSB AA4LR Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2021 01:07:38 +0000
                    North American QSO Party, SSB - August

Call: AA4LR
Operator(s): AA4LR
Station: AA4LR

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: GA
Operating Time (hrs): 7.7

  160:
   80:   33    15
   40:  193    37
   20:   39    15
   15:
   10:
-------------------
Total:  265    67  Total Score = 17,755

Club: South East Contest Club

Team: SECC#1

Comments:

Antennas:
80-40-20m Trap Dipole at 10m high
160-80-40m Trap inverted J with 2 radials at 2m

Equipment:
K2/100 w/ KAT100 Running 100 watts
Koss SB45
K1KP-style voice keyer (1 message)

Comments:

Operating from the modest station in Fulton County. Hard going always with
compromise antennas and noise from the big city.

This was basically a 40m NAQP. Never heard a single signal on 10 or 15m, despite
tuning the bands numerous times. This was very disappointing.

20m was reasonably short at the start, but went very long about 2200z. Lots of
Europeans were heard at this time, but few were in the contest. Missed lots of
mults out west. I had comments from four different stations they heard RFI
getting into my mike. Not sure what to do about that. I think the antenna may be
too close to the station.

First Qs on 40m were in the 1900 hour. You know it is going to be a sad NAQP
when that happens.

40m was the big money band, practically the only band. Tried 80m before 0000z,
but not a lot happening. By 0200z, lots of stations on 80m, but also lots of
noise. It was hard slogging.

160m was not happening. I don't know what's wrong, but my Inverted-J was not
working. Although the KAT100 could tune it up, I couldn't hear any signals on
this antenna. I think something is wrong with the feed line. Never heard anyone
on 160m, and my CQs there went unanswered.

At age 60, I think I'm losing some of my hearing. I had to ask for lots of
repeats on names, more than I'm comfortable with. Or maybe that was due to the
noisy Atlanta QTH. Not sure. Some people had audio that sounded like they were
talking through a long cardboard tube. That didn't help.

I think the Koss headset might be slightly overdriving the K2.

Not a big effort, but it was fun.