[3830] WWDigi W0AAE M/S LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] WWDigi W0AAE M/S LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2021 12:53:08 +0000
                    World Wide Digi DX Contest - 2021

Call: W0AAE
Operator(s): KA4RLL WW0CJ K6BFL W0AAE
Station: W0AAE

Class: M/S LP
QTH: MN
Operating Time (hrs): 23:24
Remote Operation

  160:    0     0
   80:   22     8
   40:  259    32
   20:  272    30
   15:    1     1
   10:    0     0
-------------------
Total:  554    71  Total Score = 46,718

Club: Minnesota Wireless Assn

Comments:

Wow, what a weekend and what fun! This contest was operated remotely at W0AAE's
QTH via AnyDesk. We had a multitude of experienced operators here from all over
the world, all in different time zones...AND ALL YOUTHS!

On Thursday, it was looking rough for the weekend. My 20m antenna at 60 feet was
destroyed due to the tree breaking midway. That would be a game changer, so I
braved the rough storms and threw up a new line, and it turned out this one was
higher, about 70 feet. However, my backup 20m antenna had a 2.5:1 SWR at the FT8
portion of the band and couldn't be lengthened, so I decided to stick with it. I
also found out that in the same storm my EU 40m dipole rope had broken, putting
that antenna out of use for the contest. Conditions were extremely poor toward
EU, as noticed by several others on the East Coast. We probably worked only 5 EU
on 20, hence the low mult number and low score. The high bands in general were
extremely poor, with only 1 Q on 15m. Our locations around the globe were
perfect, as Karl, KA4RLL is in Malaysia and could work the midnight shifts here,
which was perfect for mults. A problem came when I noticed my Astron 35 amp
power supply was at an extremely high temperature, so I had to grab a fan to fix
that and point it at it point-blank. Fun problem solving times.  Our goal was to
get #1 U.S. M/S, which I hope we accomplished, and in doing that made the U.S.
record!

I will definitely consider using AnyDesk again for remoting during a digi
contest, and I highly recommend it to anyone starting out.

Thanks to all three of the operators for making this a successful effort!

Oh, and thanks to that VP8 for those two epic mults on 20 AND 40 from the
Falkland Islands!

Equipment:
IC-7300
40m dipole @ 40 feet
20m dipole @ 70 feet
20m dipole @ 30 feet
80m dipole @ 40 feet
15m: 40m dipole tuned up
Astron RS-35A power supply
WSJT-Z
N1MM+
AnyDesk

Time to build new antennas for the next one!

73!
KA4RLL (16), K6BFL (17), WW0CJ (17), W0AAE (17)

 Band   Mode  QSOs     Pts  Mlt  Pt/Q
   3.5  FT8     22      22    8   1.0
     7  FT4    106     121   11   1.1
     7  FT8    153     193   21   1.3