[3830] WWDigi NR4O SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, nr4o@att.net
Subject: [3830] WWDigi NR4O SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2021 17:31:20 +0000
                    World Wide Digi DX Contest - 2021

Call: NR4O
Operator(s): NR4O
Station: NR4O

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: NC - FM05
Operating Time (hrs): 18.6
Radios: SO2R

  160:   20     6
   80:   83    15
   40:  222    33
   20:  174    19
   15:    7     5
   10:    1     1
-------------------
Total:  507    79  Total Score = 61,067

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Well, that was an interesting contest.  First I had much more time than I had
last year. More than tripled my QSO's and multiplied my score by nearly 11x.
So, overall I'd say a successful outing.  My rate over my 18.6 hours was 27/hr.
My best run rate was 62/hr for about 30 minutes on 40m/FT4 near the beginning of
the contest. But, those were all 1 point Q's and most of the NA grid mults.
There were other short spurts of >50 Q's at scattered throughout my operating
time. I pretty much operated from the starting gun until 3am local time with
only a few short breaks around lunch and dinner.  Rates were really slow so I
thought I'd nap a couple hours and jump back on around sunrise to hopefully
score a few more mults. But, that didn't happen.

I split my operating time between both FT4 and FT8 modes on 80/40/20.  Found 1
lonely soul on 10m and a handful on 15m.  I found 160m to be nice and quiet
compared to NAQP weekend and rounded up 6 mults including the FK grid with a KP4
as one of my last 3 Q's on 160m. As is typical, my wire antennas under perform
on 20m and work reasonably well on 40 and 80m.  So, my mult performance on 20m
was poor.  As they say in real estate, location is everything.  Suburban lots in
a local valley might be a good real estate value.  Not so good for DX antennas.

At midnight local time I was chasing a few mults on 80m when my amplifiers tuner
faulted for excessive SWR and shutdown.  Discovered this morning that one leg of
my 80m dipole was dangling in the tree branches and partially draped across one
leg of my 40m dipole.  It appears the wire has been rubbing on the tree branches
and probably arc'd over at a high voltage point.  That kind of a put a damper on
the last 3 hours of op time, using my Inverted-L for 80m.

I do wonder if I missed logging a few Q's early on in the contest.  I didn't
catch that the WSJT to N1MM connection didn't always auto log a contact on a
RR73 response message on some contacts. I had to use the log button on WSJT to
get valid QSO properly logged. We'll see what the NIL report looks like.  When
running FT4, you had to be quick with the mouse clicks to keep the rate up when
you didn't get an answer to a CQ and pick off an 'S&P' contact with another
station calling CQ that showed up in the N1MM decode window.  Even though the
overall rate was only 27 Q's following all the information available kept my
attention going and my BIC.

Thanks for all the Q's and in some cases patience to wait for decodes when there
was clearly overlapping signals in the pass band.  I enjoyed this one.

73,
Eric - NR4O

Flex-6600
SPE 1.3k/TL-922 amps