[3830] NA Sprint CW W6AQ(N6AN) QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] NA Sprint CW W6AQ(N6AN) QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2021 06:54:55 +0000
                    NA Sprint CW Contest - September

Call: W6AQ
Operator(s): N6AN
Station: N6AN

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: DM04vd
Operating Time (hrs): 4

   80:   22    0:43
   40:   45    1:30
   20:   67    1:47
---------------------

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Team: SCCC #2

Comments:

I used Dave Bell's old call, W6AQ, to remember him and celebrate one of his
favorite activities, QRP.
I set up portable on Flint Peak (SOTA W6/CT-225). KX3 @ 5 watts. Antennas: a 20
meter 1/2 square (20' high) made from a single (~110') length of CAT5 twisted
pair; 100' doublet fed with CAT5 twisted pair at 28' for 40/80 meters. Hand
sending and paper logging, mental dupe sheet.
I heard but missed MN, SD, RI, AR, LA, WY, WI, MB, AB, BC. It was great to work
N2NL and VE5MX on 80 and many east coast stations had fb signals there.
The 1/2 square seemed to work pretty well on 20. I completed many doubles and
even got answers to my CQs. My original goal was around 50 QSOs, but the Qs kept
happening.
It was a long day trying to stay out of the sun to lessen the effect of high 90s
temperatures. I hiked up to the peak around noon and spent a few hours chasing
SOTA summits. Then a last minute decision was made to throw the 1/2 square into
the air and see how it played.
Tear down took about 40 minutes with the help of a head lamp, then a 15 minute
hike down to the car.
There a many fast and smooth operators out there with good ears. Thanks for the
Qs. Congratulations to the 300+ club. Activity was pretty good, but maybe not
enough to reach 400 Qs.
73,
David N6AN

P.S I was not well prepared mentally for the start and sent N6AN to the first
few CQers which must have been really strange when my exchange included W6AQ.