[3830] ARRL Sep VHF VE3IQZ Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, RPAGE@cogeco.ca
Subject: [3830] ARRL Sep VHF VE3IQZ Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2021 03:27:56 +0000

  3.4:   0     0
  5.7:   0     0
  10G:   0     0
  24G:   0     0
-------------------
Total:  11     8  Total Score = 120

Club: peterborough amateur radio club

Comments:

These VHF contests have almost hit rock bottom for SSB and CW in the less
populated areas compared to the 80s 90s and early 2000s before all this digital
stuff took over.
We operated RADIOS, (no computers required) as we would in any emergency
situations, just as we actually did in the  "100 year Flood" in 2004
and the big power outage in 2003.
After hearing NOTHING for the first 2 hours, I went DIGITAL, CNN  HDTV, but did
leave the receiver running and heard 3 stations, VE3ZV,EN92, VE3SMA, FN03, and
VE2ZAZ, FN25. That was all I heard, only 3 stations Saturday and Sunday, except
for a couple 'locals'.

Its time to separate the skill-less digital modes, a mode where a 9 year old
could be instructed to watch the screen and operate the mouse to 'click here'
when something pops up on the screen to 'work' a station and NEVER touch a
RADIO.

Compare that to a 'real radio' operator that has to tune a radio across the
band, pick out the call,the exchange info then move up the band and find another
station, maybe a DX ham with a heavy non english accent, work the station and
log it.
All done without the assistance of a computer.
 That is where an amateurs skill comes into play.
Maybe the ARRL should create a seperate digital division..
Maybe the ACRL..Amateur Computer Relay League.