[3830] ARRL Sep VHF N6GP/R Limited Rover LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL Sep VHF N6GP/R Limited Rover LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2021 06:35:54 +0000

  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  257    45  Total Score = 16,110

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

For the second year in a row, the National Forests were closed in Calif during
Sept VHF.  So that ruled out mountaintop locations.  At least this year there
was no choking smoke like last year.
I started the contest just in time at Signal Hill for DM03.  There was a ton of
activity on 2m and 440. Got about 40 QSOs the first hour.  Stayed about 1.5
hours.
Only 1 hour off time for transition to Schurr High School, Montebello for DMO$.
Strange that it is a ghost town up there.  Found it a little blocked to Orange
County.  Stayed about 1 hour 20 minutes.  Made it over to Diamond Bar Center for
DM13 and made about 50 QSOs there. Finished the day at Pantera Elementary for
DM14. Had a nice surprise that Sporadic E opened up a bit to Washington,
Oregon,
and British Colombia on 6m FT8.  I only was able to get 2 multipliers from this
opening, because it was fairly weak, and not a great location to beam north.
I got kind of a late start Sunday morning when I left my house at 9:15.  Did
not
make it to the Grapevine exit on the I-5 until 12L30. The Jack In the Box did
not work out well, and found the Valero station to be just as good if not
better.  Found Chuck WB6FQZ in Tehachepi on 223.5, and ran him all 4 bands for
DM05!  After that it was very difficult to make QSOs.  The activity in the San
Joachin Valley was very low this year.  I only made 13 QSOs and 11 mults this
year from this spot, vs 21 QSOs and 15 mults last year.   With the activity so
low, I scuttled my plans for Kettleman City, and I did not even go activate DM05
about 5 miles down the road.  Instead I put up my 9 el 2m beam to work WA6OSX,
and WA6LOL.
I returned to the L.A. Area with about 2 hours to spare in the contest.  I
thought DM04 needed re-visiting, so I went to my spot in Hastings Ranch,
Pasadena.  There were quite a few stations I had missed on Saturday.  I got
several alerts that 6m opened to Texas.  This was an excellent location to work
East, and this yielded 10 additional QSOs out of state and 7 mults. Fun
opening!
VHF Contesting truly does "take a village" to be successful.  I am so
grateful
to Dan NA6MG and Marty N6VI for keeping an ear out for me at all 4 of my stops,
making the maximum 16 QSOs with me.  The level of activity was very good in the
LA basin, almost on par with last year's pandemic boosted activity.  Nothing
like the 40% year over year drop in activity in June VHF.  With all of the
activity, there was a lot of fun to be had.

QSOs by Grid Activated:
DM03  74
DM04  95
DM13  50