[3830] CQ WW RTTY VE3NNT SO(A)AB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, lesbrown@sympatico.ca
Subject: [3830] CQ WW RTTY VE3NNT SO(A)AB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2021 03:21:39 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, RTTY - 2021

Call: VE3NNT
Operator(s): VE3NNT
Station: VE3NNT

Class: SO(A)AB HP
QTH: FN14cm
Operating Time (hrs): 22.5

   80:  161       38      33     9
   40:  331       37      58    18
   20:  433       28      76    27
   15:  434       15      77    22
   10:
------------------------------------
Total: 1359      118     244    76  Total Score = 1,625,418

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

I'm basically a CW contester. I've never operated an RTTY contest, but I watched
the FlexRadio video by Mike (VA3MW) and Chris (N6WM) on "N1MM/RTTY
Contesting setup" the other day and wanted to try their setup for RTTY
since I have the Flex suite of gear (6600M, PGXL, TGXL, along with the 4O3A
Antenna Genius and Rotator Genius)capable of SO2R operation. With the CQ WW RTTY
contest this weekend, I thought it would be a good opportunity to test the
setup. I had no plans to operate the contest but rather figured that with so
much RTTY activity I would be able to tweak various aspects of the setup and see
how it performed. Friday night, I installed 2 instances of MMTTY and 2 instances
of 2-Tone following the instructions in the video and got everything working.
Then I started to do a few contest exchanges to get familiar with the
keystrokes, macros and mouse movements.

At first, I wasn't too excited about the mode compared to CW since all of the
decoding is done in software instead of in your head. I was afraid that it would
become boring. It seemed to me that I was just reading, pointing and clicking.
It's much more relaxing than a CW contest.

As I started to play with the setup a little more, I got sucked into the contest
and actually started to enjoy the chase. However, I had other things to do this
weekend so could only put in a few hours. I worked both VA3MW and N6WM in the
contest. I want to thank them both for the great video tutorial.

I played at times with SO2R, or rather 2BSIQ. It's easier than 2BSIQ with CW
since you just need to monitor 2 windows and remember which keys to press and
when, no trying to decode stuff in alternating ears, and sometimes overlapping
when you get out of sync.

Now that the station is well configured for RTTY, I think I might put in a full
time effort in CQ WW RTTY next year. For the time I could put in, I'm happy with
my results. It sets a good baseline for next year.

In the end, I like this mode better than phone, but CW is my first love and
still favorite mode.