[3830] CQ WW RTTY KU2M SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQ WW RTTY KU2M SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2021 19:25:52 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, RTTY - 2021

Call: KU2M
Operator(s): KU2M
Station: KU2M

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: Wayne, NJ
Operating Time (hrs): 33

   80:  219       41      32    11
   40:  244       36      47    15
   20:  582       41      74    27
   15:  471       20      72    22
   10:   27        8       8     7
------------------------------------
Total: 1543      146     233    82  Total Score = 1,702,012

Club: Frankford Radio Club

Comments:

Throughout human history, many great artists, such as Dante Alighieri and
Hieronymus Bosch, have put forth descriptions of Hell. However, I don't believe
any of them ever operated 20 Meters in the middle of the CQWW RTTY contest.

Make no mistake: it was Hell - especially when you're running low power and
bumping up against the big boys. Overlapping RY signals are pure ear-killing
cacophony - and trying to find a run frequency is like trying to find an honest
man (or woman) in Congress. On top of that, my back was killing me from sitting
too long in the crappy little chair I have yet to replace with something better.
But I obeyed the Contester's Rule: "Stay in the Chair," and got
through it. The really good news? 15 Meters was back! For once, the band was
less dead than Julius Caesar and filled with lots of EU and even some Asian
stations, and I was pleasantly amazed to work a UA9 in Zone 17 - the
northernmost DX I've heard on 15M for years. I was hoping for a JA opening, but
unfortunately, there was nothing heard from JA, and Pacific DX, like 5W1AS, was
pitifully weak and nearly impossible to decode.

Although I was limited to low power of 100 watts, I was still being heard fairly
well, thanks to more sunspots than we've had lately, so here's hoping that the
sunspots continue to regenerate. Perhaps, in a year or two, we'll even see some
life and activity on 10M other than the usual suspects from South America, which
were few and far between on RTTY this year. 10M was mostly a proverbial
graveyard - when you're praying to work someone in your own state because it
would be a Double Multiplier, you know things still need to get a whole lot
better. Let's hope they do!