[3830] CQWW CW W6YX(N7MH) SO(A)AB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW W6YX(N7MH) SO(A)AB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2021 22:57:43 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW - 2021

Call: W6YX
Operator(s): N7MH
Station: W6YX

Class: SO(A)AB HP
QTH: Stanford
Operating Time (hrs): 34:41
Radios: SO2R

  160:   29    11       14
   80:  139    23       47
   40:  731    33      103
   20:  911    35      109
   15:  510    32       85
   10:   61    15       25
------------------------------

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

Replacing a kitchen disposal and microwave that didn't survive the Thanksgiving
Friday onslaught of 10 people reheating holiday leftovers added a few hours to
what should have been a sleep break at home for me. This, combined with a long
chat with John, W6LD/P40L, who returned on Sunday afternoon from Thanksgiving
abroad to drop by and work a few, including John, W2GD/P44W, resulted in several
hours less operating than I had planned.

I had never operated WW CW SOABHP Assisted so I was curious to try it out after
having been Assisted only in a single-band effort and in multi-ops. My result is
in line with what I would have predicted, a modest increase in Qs but a much
bigger boost in mults for a score over 1.5 times my Unassisted best with 3 hours
less operating.

After returning from a sleep break on Sunday morning I arrived to find that my
logging windows were gone as Windows 10 had updated in my absence. The log was
intact but I lost some configuration changes that I'd forgotten to save. It took
me nearly an hour to realize that SCP was only showing the callsigns I'd already
worked on other bands as I'd started up with the SS SCP and not saved after
correcting that. Some of the weak JAs calling on 80 and 40 would have taken
fewer tries with the right SCP.

160: Missed several normally easy Caribbean and South Americans. Most signals
were very weak, even using Beverages. Only heard and worked one JA, JA3YBK.

80: Great European opening the first evening but only one new EU Q the second
evening and no new EU mults. Far fewer JAs than previous years, most weak.

40: Faster rate clicking EU spots than CQing. Close to EU sunrise I was finally
able to work many of the stations I'd been calling repeatedly earlier in our
evening. Several Asian mults were only worked on 40.

20: Good rates to Asia when open. Running to EU slow on the first morning, more
productive the second day. Saw that 9N7AA had been spotted to RBN by our on-site
skimmer but couldn't hear him initially. Several minutes later noticed I was
beaming South America, switched antennas but now there was a pileup which took a
few minutes to work through.

15: Strong openings to Asia both days. Focused on working EU mults the first
morning. EU signals seemed weaker the second day and only worked a couple new
mults.

10: Mostly zones 7 to 13. Saw ZL spotted but never heard, only Oceania was KH6.
Worked JA3YBK but didn't hear any other JAs. Worked CR3W but no EU heard.

73,
-Mike, N7MH