[3830] ARRL 160 AK0M SO Unlimited LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, 73ak0m@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 AK0M SO Unlimited LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 05 Dec 2021 22:58:30 +0000
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest - 2021

Call: AK0M
Operator(s): AK0M
Station: AK0M

Class: SO Unlimited LP
QTH: IA
Operating Time (hrs): 7

Total:  QSOs = 417  Sections = 80  Countries = 8  Total Score = 67,680

Club:

Comments:

I was still scrambling to get my 160m antenna back up on Friday afternoon, but
finished with about an hour to spare. My operating time was limited to several
hours on both Friday and Saturday evenings. Friday evenings’ propagation
seemed better than Saturday… the band was quieter, and seemed longer than on
Saturday. I was hoping to find KL7 to finish up my WAS, but never came across
one. I worked all the lower 48, missing KH6 (heard WH7T briefly) and KL7… also
missed some of the W6 sections due to not staying up late enough I presume, and
missed MB and NT (never heard). Had UT and NE call me late on a Saturday evening
run. The pileups I had heard a bit earlier on NG7M (UT) and KR0P (?) NE were
crazy so I must have not been the only one finding them rare, but the pileup on
W2RE NNY late was gigantic! I had to just sit and listen to that one for a
while. I never did work NNY. DX was very limited here, just a few Q’s.

This is one of my favorite contests. With my meager station, the disparity
between it and most others’ is likely quite a bit less than in contests on the
other bands. I can feel reasonably confidant jumping into pileups and often
being answered quickly, and I can actually get some sustained runs going. On
Friday night, I think I missed working only one station I called, and only had
one fill request. Saturday evening was a little more difficult but not much so.

I tried operating away from my desk using my laptop and SmartSDR but I just
can’t get comfortable without a sidetone… Flex software sure is frustrating
re even a bare-minimum of remote CW features.

Had a great time!
73, Steve Sutterer AK0M

Flex 6600 @ 100W
160m inverted J (about 60’ vertical, 25’ mostly flat top, then about 45’
sloping down at about 45 degrees)
N1MM software