[3830] ARRL 160 W1WBB SO Unlimited LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, wbliss1@cox.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 W1WBB SO Unlimited LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2021 01:00:32 +0000
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest - 2021

Call: W1WBB
Operator(s): W1WBB
Station: W1WBB

Class: SO Unlimited LP
QTH: FN 41
Operating Time (hrs): 7.5

Total:  QSOs = 350  Sections = 62  Countries = 15  Total Score = 58,058

Club: CT RI Contest Group

Comments:

P/T effort!  Only available Fri night/Sat morn.  Had 18 5-pt QSOs/15 unique DX
entities.  Best hourly rate was 91 QSOs/hour (btwn ~0400-0500Z), best 30 minute
rate was 128 Q's/hour (start at about 0355Z).  Band was pretty quiet but best Eu
sigs were just barely above my noise.  First ARRL 160m contest with my 3
elevated radials and slightly relocated/readjusted feed.

Worsening general local QRN and a frequent persistent buzzing (an add'l 1-2
S-units above general noise - holiday lights maybe??) hampered my QSO rate and
ability to pull out weak sigs, even when listening on my manually switched in RX
antennas).  A half-size point terminated Pennant RX antenna (15 ft x 7 ft)
oriented ENE was added very recently and helped a bit with Eu callers but needs
added amplification.  My HF 5-band Hexbeam as well as my quiet 88 ft doublet
were also used occasionally as secondary RX antennas.
Sorry to those I just could not pull out of the noise...I tried all RX antennas
I had on my small noisy suburban lot.

East of Mississippi:  heard/missed only WCF, PR.  Never heard NNY.
DX:  12 Eu countries plus C6, PJ2 and ZF in Caribbean.

Added about 50 QSOs after starting back up 75 mins prior to my sunrise (in under
1 hour of op-time) b4 final QRT.

TNX to all for the QSOs!  Hope many will join us for Stew Perry TBDC this year
(being held the Saturday *prior* to Xmas this year!)-- C U then.

Icom IC-7300 at 100w; primary TX/RX antenna: 5/16 wave Inv L (partial sloping
vertical radiator approx 105'/over 65' [170' wire], horiz bend up near 75'),
with matching series cap at feed, 3 elevated 65' non-resonant radials (at 10-12'
above soil) and modest [detached] ground screen of 18 various length wires over
'poor soil conductivity'; secondary RX antennas (via manual switch):  half-size
Pennant on Eu/Afr, HF Hexbeam, and 88' doublet.

73,  Bill  W1WBB