[3830] FT RUp AB1J SO Unlimited LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ktfrog007@aol.com
Subject: [3830] FT RUp AB1J SO Unlimited LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2021 00:42:26 +0000
                    FT Roundup - 2021

Call: AB1J
Operator(s): AB1J
Station: AB1J

Class: SO Unlimited LP
QTH: Waltham, MA
Operating Time (hrs): 22:37

------------
   80:   98
   40:  164
   20:  220
   15:   77
   10:    0
------------
Total:  559  State/Prov = 46  Countries = 31  Total Score = 43,043

Club:

Comments:

Space weather on Sunday 2021-12-05 1300z:  SSN=35  SFI=88  Kp=1

This is a CHECKLOG.

I used WSJT-Z which has both Auto CQ and Auto Call modes. All attended operation
while I did other work on my computer, read, worked out, cleaned my shack (to
make my wife happy) or operated along with WSJT-Z. Robotic operation is not
allowed by the rules, hence the CHECKLOG.

If QSOs went smoothly, the Auto modes were productive. In general QSOs went more
smoothly this year than ever before and WSJT-Z just cranked away. I think the
underlying WSJT-X software was enhanced for contesting somewhere along the
line.

I used WSJT-Z in full automatic mode (both Auto CQ and Auto Call), in full
manual mode and in a mixed mode where I'd intervene to facilitate a QSO,
typically in Auto Call where I'd exit Auto Call to go split or change the
split.

Once in a while WSJT-Z messed up, but that was the exception and usually
involved some error on the other station's part, like out-of-sequence
transmissions, use of RRR, etc. It worked best when the band was comfortably
active and not too crowded.

Did it boost my score? I don't know. It was probably a wash. My result was in
line with my previous Roundup efforts (all raw counts):

Year  QSOs  Rate
2018  392  19.6/hour
2019  611  27.1/hour
2020  335  22.8/hour
2021  559  24.7/hour

It's difficult to compare contests, conditions and activity levels. Same station
and same antennas. Same op. 2019 was exceptional and unlikely to be repeated. An
outlier. The stars were aligned then.

WSJT-Z might be most useful in an SO2R situation in automatic mode in alternate
time slots.

Besides its notorious automatic modes, WSJT-Z has lots of useful features,
extensive filtering and so on. It's a very useful program and I use it
exclusively on FT.

Overall, WSJT-Z worked well and took a load off me. It's a long way from a
stand-alone automated contest program, however. Getting there would require
considerable enhancement, a lot of effort to handle relatively rare exceptions,
but they would need to be dealt with to make things work properly. As long as
it's against the rules, there's little point.

I used PSKReporter and VE7CC -> ViewProp -> DX Atlas to track propagation.
It showed mostly regular band activity, color coded sets of FT activity on DX
Atlas. I logged with N1MM+ and avoided any WSJT-Z logging issues.

Some random observations:

FT4 was concentrated on 40m and 20m. Just a little on 80m and 15m.

I had better results on FT8, even though it is slower. There was more activity
on FT8 than FT4. FT8's extra 3 dB can come in pretty handy on the DX paths and
its pace is better suited to me.

FT4 = 124 QSOs  22%
FT8 = 435 QSOs  78%

20m FT4 is an abomination, with its forced mix of contesters and
non-contesters.

I couldn't figure out a way to use Auto Call to call only contest FT4 stations
on 20m, so I went totally manual.

I didn't come across any 10m contest activity.

Some non-contest stations were in the contest-specific bands. I have no idea
why. We were not interoperable and they caused me and WSJT-Z no end of problems.
As I encountered them, I put them in WSJT-Z's permanent ignore list.

I was surprised when JO7KMB answered my CQ on 40m Sunday afternoon at 2125z. JA
on 40m is difficult for me and I never worked any on 40m until FT8 came along.

Thanks for the QSOs. Happy Holidays.

73,
Ken, AB1J

Flex 6500
N1MM Logger+    WSJT-Z    ViewProp/DX Atlas
20m & 15m attic dipoles
80m, 40m & 20m outdoor 66' stealth wire and indoor counterpoise
LoTW  eQSL  ClubLog