[3830] ARRL 10 K5PI(@W5KFT) SO CW HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, robert.k5pi@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 10 K5PI(@W5KFT) SO CW HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2021 00:36:39 +0000
                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest - 2021

Call: K5PI
Operator(s): K5PI
Station: W5KFT

Class: SO CW HP
QTH: TX
Operating Time (hrs): 31:05

   CW:  880    74
  SSB:
-------------------
Total:  880    74  Total Score = 260,480

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

Ten meters can be full of surprises, even with the solar flux at 70.  Friday
night was a snoozer -- 131 Qs over four hours.  Saturday during day wasn't much
better, with most hours in the 20s and 30s.  I thought for a minute I'd mixed up
the dates and got on for the Florida QSO Party!

Ah, but then came Saturday evening.  The opening inched its way up the east
coast.  When it hit the midwest, suddenly the band was open almost everywhere!
I worked as hard as I could to shovel as many Qs in the log -- who knew how long
it would last?  It was challenging to fly through a burst of contacts with some
All Stars, then slow down for a few slow-and-steady types.  Then crank it back
up again.  Zero zulu was only a 118 hour, but it felt like 200+.

The rush subsided, but was followed by five more hours of almost a Q per minute.
  At midnight local, there were still some strong signals on the band.  It felt
like the propagation was still there, but the people weren't.  I made five Qs
after midnight and packed it in.

If Saturday was FQP, Sunday was the Minnesota QSO Party.  Thanks to all you
folks for being there.  There was a pipeline to Texas that lasted all day.

Unfortunately, things just tapered off to the end.  I saw the rate meter in
single digits for quite a while, wondering if it would actually ever show zero.
I must have done something (logged a dupe?) because the the rate meter popped up
to 60 and gave me a last burst of energy to keep grinding.

Thanks to the N1MM team for making SO2V work so well.  I used it a lot this
year.  See y'all in Stew Perry and CQ 160!