[3830] TBDC W1WBB Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] TBDC W1WBB Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2021 16:30:19 +0000
                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge - Dec 18

Call: W1WBB
Operator(s): W1WBB
Station: W1WBB

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: W1
Operating Time (hrs): 11.25

Total:  QSOs = 298  Total Score = 1,242

Club: CT RI Contest Group

Comments:

* Claimed score of 1242 points is per N1MM+ Logger *

Activity seemed down this year... with the Solar Flux and Sunspots jumping up
significantly to over 120 in past couple days perhaps folks had been busy DXing
and forgot about Topband for The Stew? (And Holiday still to come?)  I expected
better band conditions with K-Index near 0, a quiet geomagnetic field and
diminished solar wind but things were strange much of the eve.

Band was pretty quiet for me - light rain all contest kept a likely nearby noisy
power pole insulator from acting up and storms in Gulf of Mexico area didn't
bother me. Furthest DX was with UW2M calling me just 40 min after my sunset,
sweet!  But then much of central USA was practically unworkable for an extended
time (storm noise for them?).  Was a struggle to make Q's.  And some usually
closer stations were very weak, weird (trying QRP?).  The usual fast, heavy QSB
per usual.

Did eventually manage 8 Eu contacts, 6 with Caribbean and one PJ2 in SA (15 DX).
 'Favorite' DX was MU5A for a new DXCC on 160m, TNX!!  Had 22 10-point (or >)
QSOs per N1MM, not great... DX totals, points and QSOs a bit better than last
year *but* with nearly 2 more hrs op-time this year ;^( .  Had double the Eu Q's
in ARRL 160m this month and best hourly QSO rate this SP (47 Q's/hr) was only
half of this year's ARRL 160m 'test.

My ninth annual 'Big' Stew participation -- always fun, regardless!  TNX
QSOs/Merry X-mas/Happy Holidays to all.

Icom IC-7300 at 100w; primary TX/RX antenna: 5/16 wave Inv L (partial sloping
vertical radiator approx 105'/over 65' [170' wire], horiz bend up near 75'),
with matching series cap at feed, 3 elevated 65' non-resonant radials (at 10-12'
above soil) and modest [detached] ground screen of 18 various length wires over
'poor soil conductivity'; secondary RX antennas (via manual switch):  half-size
Pennant on Eu/Afr, HF Hexbeam, and 88' doublet.  N1MM+ Logger; WinKeyer USB and
Vibroplex Deluxe paddle, Dit Dit!  [note:  1st 'Big Stew' w/ elevated radials].

73,  Bill  W1WBB