[3830] TBDC N4XD Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ron.spencer@zoho.com
Subject: [3830] TBDC N4XD Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2021 17:28:35 +0000
                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge - Dec 18

Call: N4XD
Operator(s): N4XD
Station: N4XD

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: NC
Operating Time (hrs): 12.3

Total:  QSOs = 634  Total Score = 2,811

Club: Smithchart ARS

Comments:

With the persistent storms along the gulf coast (very sorry for those folks.
They certainly don't need any more challenges this year!) QRN was going to be
present for the whole contest. In fact, as the evening went along, the storms
grew to be along the NC coast.

Because of those storms I decided to get on a bit earlier than usual to,
hopefully, work some stations before the sun set along the gulf and prop brought
the QRN. So, at 2159, started. Took only a few minutes before the first dupe at
2126. I believe the log will have 15 dupes which seems high. Betting QRN and QSB
lead to this.

First dx was at 2205. And loud too. Hmm, I thought, this might be a pretty good
contest. And indeed, from here, seemed prop to EU was pretty good. Many
"loudish" EUs for the first several hours. Then, prop to EU ended
around 0400. As if a lid was dropped on it. Wow!

Fortunately, good prop to the west coast made the rest of the contest fun. And,
by that time the storms had moved to where they were off the back of the receive
antennas.

As I noted, EU prop seemed pretty good. Looking at the point totals, I worked 11
18 pointers! And 6 17 pointers. Many more than usual. My count of total EU
stations worked is 85. 28 countries worked (not counting, of course, VE, NA and
the KH6 from AZ).

Having reached over 2000 points by 0338 I thought this might be the best I've
ever scored. By a little after 0400 I knew this wasn't to be.

Got up pretty early this morning hoping for anyone from VK, ZL, JA or KH6 (well,
KH6 that was in HI) but, as others have pointed out, nothing. I imagine they
were having a LOT of trouble hearing us since they were looking right into the
storms. Think I was called by a KL7 but just could not pull the call through.

I read Guy, K2AV's post. Imagine having to rebuild the whole station during the
contest. Guy, sorry that happened. Fortunately here everything, except for a
couple minor glitches, worked perfectly.

Because of the QRN and QSB I'm expecting some hefty busted call totals.

Tree and the Boring ARC, thanks, as always, for putting these contests on. Both
the BIG one and all the preliminary ones.

Equipment:
Anan 7000dle
Alpha 91b amp
2 phased towers
8 antenna circle array and a couple long beverages to EU and JA
N1MM+

73
Ron
N4XD