[3830] TBDC W8UA Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, javan@w8ua.com
Subject: [3830] TBDC W8UA Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2021 23:38:11 +0000
                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge - Dec 18

Call: W8UA
Operator(s): W8UA
Station: W8UA

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: OH
Operating Time (hrs): 6:30

Total:  QSOs = 256  Total Score = 739

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

I put up a temporary inverted-L on Saturday using a telescoping fiberglass mast
with the wire 30 feet vertical and around 100 feet horizontal, sloping down to
about 3 feet off the ground. I only managed to put down four radials since it
was raining and pretty cold out. I started operating around 4:00 in the
afternoon and was amazed at the number of stations that I could already hear.
This antenna was certainly better than anything I had previously tried to load
up to get on the air in this contest! I managed to make 45 contacts in the first
hour before it even got dark, which was pretty exciting. Also, I was able to
make a couple good runs which is quite unusual for me. In the evening, I got
kicked off my run frequency once by a very loud station who obviously doesn't
understand what "QRL" means, but I guess there's always those people
out there.

This was certainly a lot of fun as my first 160m contest. I'm definitely looking
forward to next year's SP!

Thanks all for the Q's.