[3830] ARRL 10 KF6NCX SO CW HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, geggmit@att.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL 10 KF6NCX SO CW HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2021 06:04:21 +0000
                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest - 2021

Call: KF6NCX
Operator(s): KF6NCX
Station: KF6NCX

Class: SO CW HP
QTH: CA
Operating Time (hrs): 2.5

   CW:  38     15
  SSB:   0      0
-------------------
Total:  38     15  Total Score = 2,280

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

OK. I recant everything bad I ever said about 10 meters. Back in maybe October,
there was some discussion on the club reflector about a proposed change in
contesting rules where 10 meters was concerned. The idea was to possibly, as I
recall, award the same amount of points for SSB contacts as for CW ones in the
hope of getting more participation in 10 meter contests. Several KBers panned
the idea. Their sentiment was: Keep things the same. But I made a post like
this: If you want more participation on 10 meters, allow FT8 contacts in the
contests. I said I'd never found 10 meters to be anything but dead, dead, dead!

Well, I'll eat my words. After the recent 10-meter contest, I'll join those who
pleaded for maintaining the status quo.  During the contest, I found the band to
be open, at least some of the time, and the contest to be fun.  That's what
putting a little time into the contest, plus an ascending solar cycle, will do,
I guess.

I operated for three hours, starting at the opening bell. At that point, nothing
was happening, so I only stayed on for 4 minutes. No prize for patience here!
It was not a convenient time for contesting.

Saturday morning was a different story. My wife passed a message to me from our
son: "You should get on 10 meters!"

So I did and I heard CW signals. Not a ton of them but some. In 40 minutes, I
made four contacts. The first was W6YX, not too far away. But then I made three
more all from FL.  I was running 400 watts into an end-fed wire made for 10
through 80 meters.  At that point I had to stop for domestic duties, such as
walking the dog.

Didn't get back on till 0300 for another half hour or so, and during this period
I made four more qsos: KY, TN and two from CO.

Then, a dinner and dishwashing break. In about an hour, from about 0615 to 0715,
I made eight contacts, all in the West, four from AZ and four from CA. I was
enjoying this. The band was very quiet, I could hear well, and everyone I called
heard me well, it seemed.

Sunday, got on and operated from about 1900 to 2000, and the band was humming. I
had 22 contacts from a variety of areas. Most were from the South: FL, GA, AL,
MS, for example, also IL and OH ... and there were even three DX contacts -- all
Brazil. Wish I had started earlier in the morning, but I didn't. By about 2000,
the band just faded away. I listened a couple of times Sunday afternoon, but
heard no more activity.

I was happy.

Thanks very much for the QSOs!

73,