[3830] RTTY Roundup W6BB(NT6V) SO(A) RTTY HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] RTTY Roundup W6BB(NT6V) SO(A) RTTY HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2022 01:24:32 +0000
                    ARRL RTTY Roundup - 2022

Call: W6BB
Operator(s): NT6V
Station: W6BB

Class: SO(A) RTTY HP
QTH: Berkeley
Operating Time (hrs): 19

   80:
   40:   156
   20:   300
   15:    80
   10:    19
-----------------------
Total:   555       0  State/Prov = 60  Countries = 43  Total Score = 57,165

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

Part-time effort this year. Conditions on 40m on Saturday evening were odd;
first I worked a few EU just before sunset but then after sunset I had many US
CQing loud at me not reacting while I had nice copy. Resumed 4am PST on Sunday
and it had recovered with a good rate on S&P. 20/15m on Sunday were decent
also with comparatively many EU on 20m. It was nice to make a few non-local QSOs
on 10m. No 80m antenna this year. With our fairly modest station I could not get
a reasonable rate going on run and did 95% S&P with local skimmer
assistance.

Had our red pitaya powered skimmer running throughout the contest (NU6XB/W6BB
spots). I had recently installed a 3dB splitter with PTT control and grounding
of the SDR on PTT (Thanks Gary NA6O for circuitry advise!) in front of the K3.
Last year I had it routed through the K3 so the low-pass filters of the K3 were
active for the SDR. This time, the SDR saw the unaltered antenna broadband. That
helped to get locally heard spots especially on 10m while bouncing between
20/15m. Also grounding the SDR input on TX made a huge difference for the SDR to
not be overloaded. I was amazed how many spots it still put out while I was full
duty cycle making QSOs getting a few spots in the RX breaks. The NU6XB skimmer
receiver was permanently listening on the beverage antenna. Was also pleased to
see that the upgraded skimmer PC with a 48 core xeon processor could handle the
load of hundreds of skimmer signals while also doing FTx/WSPR/etc decoding.

Station: K3, Expert 1.3k (at ~500W), 20-15-10m trap yagi @ 20ft, 40m GP, 200ft
beverage due NE for RX.