[3830] RTTY Roundup N4SS(@W5MX) M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] RTTY Roundup N4SS(@W5MX) M/S HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2022 23:42:18 +0000
                    ARRL RTTY Roundup - 2022

Call: N4SS
Operator(s): W5MX AJ4A KJ4YLR
Station: W5MX

Class: M/S HP
QTH: KY
Operating Time (hrs): 24.5

   80:    194      0
   40:    473      0
   20:    276      0
   15:    291      0
   10:      9      0
-----------------------
Total:   1243      0  State/Prov = 57  Countries = 56  Total Score = 140,459

Club: Kentucky Contest Group

Comments:

Terry AJ4A and Clayton KJ4YLR came down for a MS using the club call N4SS in
this one. We started a bit late and all 3 slept from about 2am to 7am local time
Sunday morning hihi. Would have been great to have kept the station going the
whole 30 hours but you know, we are all there to have a good time. If everyone
gets tired and wants to sleep, that's what we do hihi.
One very dangerous thing that I did to "improve" the contest station
was put a 65" tv in the living room. I say dangerous because we may get
hooked on a good tv show and lose focus on the contest. Example: Clint Eastwood
movie Fist Full Of Dollars came on Saturday night. Between that and the very
warm woodstove in the living room, it got hard to stay on the contest hihi.
But we managed to stay on 24.5 hrs. and all did well. I am happy with our score,
but of course we could always do better. I am always looking for ways to improve
the station for guest ops, some additional automation would be good.
Condx. were reasonable for a "work everyone" contest although it would
have been nice to work more EU on 15 and about anything on 10 but no such luck.
80 was quite noisy here, and even 40. Storms to the south, rain/snow static
locally. We ended up using beverages on RX several times. 40 went long early so
missed a lot of stuff within 500 miles or so although it was the money band for
us overall. Need to put up some sort of NVIS type antenna for 80/40 to raise the
angle of radiation for domestic tests. Always something to do antenna wise :-),
never enough....
In any case, was great to have Terry and Clayton down. Good food, a couple
movies and story telling is always a great thing, right up there with the
contest itself!

Thank You to all for the Q's as always!
Bryan
W5MX