[3830] CQ160 CW WO1N Single Op Assisted LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW WO1N Single Op Assisted LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2022 05:14:45 +0000
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW - 2022

Call: WO1N
Operator(s): WO1N
Station: WO1N

Class: Single Op Assisted LP
QTH: MASSACHUSETTS
Operating Time (hrs): 25

Total:  QSOs = 581  State/Prov = 49  Countries = 34  Total Score = 146,080

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Station : FTdx5000, Inv-L@70', K9AY NE Loop, Shielded Loop, N1MM+

Soapbox :

 This year featured the usual Fall/Early winter deployment of all my
160M paraphernalia. Temporary setups can be interesting as each year
you find new ways to make setup easier/more reliable/better to deploy.

 Started off with a 71 hour, but because we had unexpected company and
I didn't want to be rude, took a break to enjoy dinner with everyone.

 Rock and rolled inside all weekend while mother nature rock and rolled
outside all day Saturday with a major snowstorm. Nor'easter as we
call them here in New England. Pretty intense, but all the antenna survived.
And, that is the reason we had company. We fetched my 94YO mother-in-law
from her coastal home to stay with us before the storm hit the area.

 I found conditions pretty awesome the first night into Europe, while
paths to the South and West weren't working. The second night was just
the opposite, paths to Eu were shutdown for me while it was easier to work
South and West. Managed to work into Hawaii about 45 minutes before our
sunrise Sunday morning. Heard the KL7 but the pileup was out of control
so I didn't spend any time there.

 Taking advantage of the awesome CQ160 Online Results database I was able
to watch how I was doing against all previous efforts. While I garnered
the 3rd highest # of Qs over previous operations from my home station in
this contest, I am claiming 2nd highest score.

 I've always felt my antenna perform better when there is a layer of snow.
The 160 shielded loop absolutely rocked this weekend. Super quiet and
impressive directivity. The NE oriented K9AY type loop performed well before
the storm but was a bit noisier during the snow.

 N1MM says 25 hours on. It also reports 10 different runs of greater than
10Qs. The biggest was the first hour with 71Q@74/hr. Other than the first hour,
running was largely unproductive and what it probably is seeing are 2nd
VFO Qs interspersed while CQing. The score is a result of 50 10 pointers,
66 5 pointers (thank you Canada!) and 465 2 pointers. I did 400Qs in the
first 24 hours and only 181 in the 2nd. Damn slow. No new entities worked.
9 dupes on top of all of that.

 One of my favorite contests.

73,

Ken - WO1N