[3830] RTTY WPX AB1J SOSB/15 TB-Wires LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ktfrog007@aol.com
Subject: [3830] RTTY WPX AB1J SOSB/15 TB-Wires LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2022 00:13:29 +0000
                    CQ WPX RTTY Contest - 2022

Call: AB1J
Operator(s): AB1J
Station: AB1J

Class: SOSB/15 LP
Class Overlay: TB-Wires
QTH: Waltham MA
Operating Time (hrs): 22:55

------------
   80:
   40:
   20:
   15:  411
   10:
------------

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

The goal was to beat my 2013 15m single band score, now that we have a few
sunspots again. I did that, even though band conditions weren't all that great,
with highish A and K values all weekend.

I used my outside stealth wire (1.5 wavelengths on 15m so I needed the
counterpoise) for transmitting most of the time, instead of the attic dipole,
although I discovered the dipole was quieter than the outside wire with no loss
of signal strength, so I used it for receiving. I don't understand why this was
true.

As per usual, I couldn't get any runs going, so I had only 19 QSOs upon CQing
(4.6%), one of which was ZS2EZ, for which I was grateful. The 6500 makes it easy
to look for signals between spots, so I got a lot of QSOs that way. Still, 23
hours of P&C/S&P is pretty grueling. A lot of "Take a number and
wait." I also waited a lot on the SO2R folks. Ho-hum.

A fun thing happened when I got into a friendly race with WA1FCN on the Online
Scoreboard. We chased each other all weekend. It proved yet again that wires are
good for landline telegraphy, but beams are better for radio, which isn't called
wireless for nothing. We had different scoreboard upload times, mine shorter, so
I'd appear to pull ahead and then he leapfrog me at longer intervals. At the end
of each day he pulled ahead due to JA openings, which I never had.

RTTY is my favorite contest mode and that's really all it's used for anymore.
This contest and the Makrothen in October are my favorite RTTY contests. In my
ranking of contest modes it's RTTY > CW > FT > SSB > PSK > Feld
Hell (yes, I've done that)

Thanks for all the QSOs. And thanks to Bob, WA1FCN, for a dramatic race at the
RTTY Derby.

73,
Ken, AB1J

Flex 6500
N1MM Logger+  MMTTY(narrow) MMTTY(wide) 2Tone(Selective)  GRITTY(WPX)
VE7CC > ViewProp > N1MM+
15m attic dipole
End fed outdoor 66' stealth wire with indoor counterpoise, loaded on 15m with
   Dentron manual tuner
LoTW  eQSL  ClubLog