[3830] RTTY WPX KK9A SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, john@kk9a.com
Subject: [3830] RTTY WPX KK9A SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2022 21:09:20 +0000
                    CQ WPX RTTY Contest - 2022

Call: KK9A
Operator(s): KK9A
Station: KK9A

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: North Carolina
Operating Time (hrs): 30
OpMode: 2BSIQ

------------
   80:  250
   40:  542
   20:  541
   15:  561
   10:  116
------------

Club:

Comments:

Wow that was awesome! Last summer I did a lot of work on my 150 foot Rohn 65
tower. I added two prop pitch ring rotators, replaced the top 2el 40m beam with
a 4el 40m and redesigned and refurbished my long boom 20m homebrew beams putting
them on separate rotators from the 40m beams. There is still a lot of future
antenna work planned but I took a little break to catch up on other things
around the house.  My first contest with these new antennas was the 2021
Sweepstakes Phone. It was a bit of a struggle which I had hoped was just
unfavorable propagation. For this contest the stars (or sunspots) just seemed to
align. I had a fantastic start on 20m and 40m. When 20m closed I went on 40m and
80m staying up probably later then I should have but it was hard to get out of
the chair. After a very late dinner and a brief nap and got on 20m just before
sunrise. It was incredible how loud the signals from Europe jumped up exactly at
sunrise. Too bad propagation is not like that all of the time. Shortly later 15m
was also wide open to Europe and there was much less QRM which made for my best
hourly QSO rates of the weekend which were in the upper 90s. I made the most
QSOs on 15m and 80% were in Europe, I was happily surprised to see such good
conditions. 10m was also open to Europe, I cannot remember the last time I that
used those antennas. The 10m signals were fantastic but it was probably spotty
propagation as I quickly ran out stations to work. Sunday conditions were
basically a repeat of Saturday but unfortunately I ran out of op time many hours
before the end. I still had a steady stream of callers when I shut down. I do
not often operate assisted, it was really fun to watch the spots and to see
myself spotted. Do to QRM, I had to QSY often and the spotting network seemed to
quickly attract callers even when I was ridiculously high or low in the RTTY
band. I ran on both radios every hour of the contest with no real strategy other
than to make as many QSOs as possible. Being able to work anyone anywhere plus
anyone can also be a multiplier makes WPX a very fun contest.  Thanks for the
QSOs, please QSL via WD9DZV.

John KK9A