[3830] RTTY WPX WI9WI SOAB Classic HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, jhfitzpa@wisc.edu
Subject: [3830] RTTY WPX WI9WI SOAB Classic HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2022 00:52:39 +0000
                    CQ WPX RTTY Contest - 2022

Call: WI9WI
Operator(s): WI9WI
Station: WI9WI

Class: SOAB HP
Class Overlay: Classic
QTH: Winter, WI
Operating Time (hrs): 18

------------
   80:  103
   40:  281
   20:  388
   15:  199
   10:    0
------------

Club: Minnesota Wireless Assn

Comments:

Did this one from the cabin up in the frozen tundra of Sawyer County. And it was
frozen. It got down to minus 17 F Friday night and minus 19 F Saturday night. It
was 24 F inside when we got there Friday afternoon. There is no furnace, but we
got it up to 60 or so by the start of the contest with the electric heaters and
the wood burner. We went through a lot of fire wood. Highs on Saturday and
Sunday were about 5 F.
Observations:
1. Day one was better than day two. During prime Europe time on 15 and 20 on day
one I made 203 QSOs of which 126 were DX (non K/VE). On day two Europe opened
much later, and of 182 QSOs only 40 were DX. European signals were much weaker.
2. Most worked countries were K-695, VE-69, DL-46, I-25, and F-10. Eighty one
percent of QSOs were with NA stations, and only 16% Europe. I worked 1 each in
Asia and Oceania. I worked no JAs. I had a JA1 calling me, but I couldn't get
the rest of his call, and never would have gotten his NR.
3. I only had one guy send "PLEASE COPY".
4. I had a bunch send their call and their exchange when answering my CQ. I
assume these are refugees from FT-8 world. I then send my exchange to them and
if I don't get an ACK (about 50% of the time) they don't get into the log. I
doubt many of them check their LCR reports.
5. Also a bunch didn't send any sort of signal report. Has anyone ever been DQd
for not sending signal reports? I doubt it. If so lets get rid of it and move
on.
6. I came up short of my goal of 1000 Qs. I was about 30 minutes and 30 QSOs
short when it came time to pack up and drive back to Madison.
7. Activity seemed quite good. Thanks to everyone for all the QSOs.
8. Next year I hope to be doing this from PJ2T again after a 3 year hiatus.

73 Jim WI9WI