[3830] ARRLDX CW VE3NNT SOUAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, lesbrown@sympatico.ca
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW VE3NNT SOUAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2022 02:06:46 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW - 2022

Call: VE3NNT
Operator(s): VE3NNT
Station: VE3NNT

Class: SOUAB HP
QTH: FN14cm
Operating Time (hrs): 33
Remote Operation

  160:   43    30
   80:  255    63
   40:  590    80
   20:  755    77
   15:  513    81
   10:   70    32
-------------------
Total: 2226   363  Total Score = 2,424,114

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.

I've been having problems with the internet access at the cottage station
recently. It used to be a problem of dropped packets, but since the service
provider made some changes last summer it has become a problem of delay
variation. Imagine trying to carry on CW exchanges with a random delay from the
time you press the send button in N1MM and the actual time transmission starts.
Now try to imagine the magnitude of this delay, between a few hundred ms and
more than 7 seconds, randomly changing from one moment to the next. This was the
case this weekend, but was at its worst Sunday. I must have sounded like a LID
to those calling me in pileups.

There were a few moments of excitement an joy when the internet worked well and
I could run stations efficiently, but then the despair set in as the link
suddenly degraded.

I had planned to put in more hours this year to try to reach 3000 QSOs, but I
just couldn't deal with it. By Sunday afternoon I through in the towel.

The final result was about the same as the past 2 years, but should have been
much better given the good band conditions. I probably lost a good 500 QSOs with
this problem.

I think I should find a way to operate the station locally next year if I can't
get the internet fixed.