[3830] ARRLDX CW K8GU SOSB10 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ethan@k8gu.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW K8GU SOSB10 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2022 11:47:03 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW - 2022

Call: K8GU
Operator(s): K8GU
Station: K8GU

Class: SOSB10 HP
QTH: EM79vp
Operating Time (hrs): many

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:
   15:
   10:  129    37
-------------------
Total:  129    37  Total Score = 13,542

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

Equipment: Elecraft K2/100, Drake L-4B (at 1 kW), G0KSC 4-element (interlaced
with 5-element 6) Yagi at 30 feet, TRLinux 0.50gu.

Notes:  That was both fun and miserable.  I had high hopes for 10 meters going
into the weekend:  it had opened on the polar path into SM and OH late last week
and had been showing signs of life on direct path.  Since 10 is the only band
for which I have "an acceptable DX contesting antenna" (the 80-meter
dipole was good at 75 feet but is now down closer to 45 feet), I decided to give
it a go.

Sunday was a complete waste, except for a couple of multipliers (thanks for
being there).  I did not really get to the radio until 1530 on Saturday morning
because I was helping my wife pack herself and the kids for a little road trip
and we had pizza with another family Friday night; so, I probably missed
whatever EU (and maybe JA on Friday?) openings there was before that.  I did
manage to work a few southern EU stations by beaming out over the South
Atlantic.  That path persisted for hours on Saturday and briefly on Sunday, but
there were apparently only a few stations able to take advantage of it.

Looking at my RBN spots, clearly we need to have more contest expeditions (or
native operators) to the Caribbean and South Pacific!

Thanks for the QSOs and 73,

--Ethan, K8GU.
https://www.k8gu.com/