[3830] ARRLDX CW K2DM SOAB QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k2dm@comcast.net
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW K2DM SOAB QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2022 13:51:33 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW - 2022

Call: K2DM
Operator(s): K2DM
Station: K2DM

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: NFL
Operating Time (hrs): 38

  160:    9     6
   80:   67    31
   40:  208    56
   20:  226    54
   15:  204    54
   10:   49    19
-------------------
Total:  763   220  Total Score = 502,920

Club: The Villages Amateur Radio Club

Comments:

This is the BIG one for me.  It's the only contest all year that I enter with
the intention of winning my category.  I have won five times, and I am hopeful
that this year will prove to be number six.  Win or not, however, this was
probably the last time for me to put in a full effort.  I was surprised to see
that I was away from the chair for about 10 hours.  A huge chunk of that time
was Saturday night when I slept for 6 hours in two sessions.  The low bands were
just not yielding anything for me at that time.
The contest began for me much as it had for the past two years.  Decent going on
40M with some productivity on 80M overnight.  Things changed in the morning as a
20M opening gave way to a 15M opening.  Even 10M produced a few contacts.  At
the end of the first 24 hours I was a whopping 21 contacts ahead of last year,
and I couldn't envision where the remaining 200 contacts would come from to
match last year's total of 643.
Once again 40M was my stalwart band overnight, and 80M kicked in another 16
contacts.  I took a rest stop, then added another 38 contacts on 40M around EU
sunrise.  Sadly, 160M remained a bust.
After my nap I woke up shortly before my sunrise and had a 66 hour on 20M/15M.
At 1300Z I matched last year's contact total, 643 contacts.  The remainder of
the contest was a struggle.  To stay awake.  To fight through the Sunday
afternoon pileups on any EU station that showed up.  It's fun (no, not really)
to find a new EA station (or G, F, etc.), to fail to get through on my first or
second try, and to hear the roll call of the Assisted stations as they descend
upon the new station.  At this point my choices are to duke it out and try to
get through or to move on, maybe to return later.  Since there isn't much new on
Sunday afternoon, I usually choose to jump into the fray.  More times than one
would expect, I get through.  In the last hour of the contest, I worked a ZL,
VK, VK6, 3D2 and 4A90.  At some point in this little string of QSOs I went over
the half-million score mark.  I finished with 763 contacts - 120 more than last
year.  N1MM+ calculated that 216 of these contacts were answers to my CQs.
Sweet!